Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick question about selling a car

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm selling my car and the title that I have is in the name of the dealership I bought it from.  I mean, they signed it over to me, but theirs is the printed name on the title.  To sell the car, would I have to get a title that is printed in my name or can I just sign this title over to the buyer?

Thanks, I've never sold a car before except to a junkyard and they just had me sign the title over and I didn't know if it was different if selling it to another person.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
christina0607
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:49 PM

If you own the car outright then you're on the title. All you need to do is sign the title over to somone else.

kiernansmom08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Gotcha, thank you!!!!

Quoting christina0607:

If you own the car outright then you're on the title. All you need to do is sign the title over to somone else.

Barcelonalove
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM

If the printed name is of the dealer, then you need to get a title in your name.

kiernansmom08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:55 PM

OK so now I'm confused. I do need to have a title printed up in my name?

Quoting Barcelonalove:

If the printed name is of the dealer, then you need to get a title in your name.

mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:56 PM

IF your name is NOT on the front of the title, no you can not just sign it. That will cause you a huge pain in the ass!

It sounds like you need to take it to the dealer, have them sign it so you can then go title it in your name.

boobaliscious
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Just sign it over, BUT some people would be more comfortable buying it with a new title in your name on it I'm sure... But it isn't necessary.

kiernansmom08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM

AHHHH I'm dumb - ok I just got the title out and I am printed on as the registered owner of the car and then the leinholders were listed and they signed that the leins were released.  So the title is in my name. LOL call it a blond moment, thanks for everyone's help!

boobaliscious
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM

You do not legally have to, if they signed it over it doesn't matter. I have bought and sold many cars that I hadn't even registered yet and therefor did not have the title in my name, just the signed back... Legally, NO, you do not have to go get a new title.

Quoting kiernansmom08:

OK so now I'm confused. I do need to have a title printed up in my name?

Quoting Barcelonalove:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)