Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Preschool Curriculum Help

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello, I am opening a preschool from my home and am in need of some suggestions for curriculum. I am a certified teacher but have never developed my own curriculum (I have a bunch of great ideas though!) and I was looking into getting the Abeka preschool curriculum to work from (tweaking it where I see fit) but I have NO IDEA what I should or shouldn't buy. There is SOOO much stuff to choose from. What I wanted was a teachers book that gives me a run down of what to teach when and suggests activities to go with it so I can tweak it and make it my own. Do you have any suggestions for me? I appreciate any help you may have :-)

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM
I teach prek and love abeka!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:48 PM
I forgot to say we use the abc123 book, the art project book, both of the hand writing books, and another one ummm ready skills or something like that

Quoting kjsmama0206:

I teach prek and love abeka!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chelebug2
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I am sorry I am not a abeka fan, I use beyond centers and circle time, where the children learn hands on activities. It has worked great and I love it. I can use any materials and my imagination. The children I have taught have went to school fully prepare and even place d in alpha so I know it works. Other good ones are wee learn and high scope. Do some research online and see which one fits you best!! :)

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I have to congratulate you on your idea. I think teaching preschool and maybe even Kindergarten and some early elementary classes would be a great idea. Take it away from the public school system and put it into the hands of capable Moms! Our kids would get better care in smaller classes.

snoopy21276
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM

websites i use with my kids ( they are 5 and 6) and i have 10 years of preschool teaching before becoming a SAHM

http://www.abcteach.com/

http://www.starfall.com/   I went to the printable abc worksheets.. printed them off and laminated so they could be used over and over with dry erase markers.. my kiddos love it!

do a search on ebay for file folder games.. they are worth the small investment IMO to get premade and laminated

also ebay you can get lots of consumables like stickers and art supplies :)

good luck!

SunnySmiles4Me
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

I have to congratulate you on your idea. I think teaching preschool and maybe even Kindergarten and some early elementary classes would be a great idea. Take it away from the public school system and put it into the hands of capable Moms! Our kids would get better care in smaller classes.

HeatherM0529
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I bought the Itty Bitty Bookwork Curriculum. It's a LOT of arts and crafts! We are homeschooling (Preschool in fall) and my friend and I have started  ahomeschool group for our friends. Monthly we switch houses and now that it's warm we go and do a field trip every other week. It's so much fun for the kids. We just do a lot of activities at this age.

Leener3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I personally would approach it this way.  I would make an appointment with the local grade school principal.  Ask him/her what they students entering kindergarten in the district are required to know.  Then ask if you may have a copy of the kindergarten assessment test,  Lastly ask the principal what ciriculum the kindergarten teachers use.  After you have a good handle on what the students are expected to know select the ciriculum that fits that criteria.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)