Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When I say that my child is on a high-fat diet...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM
  • 37 Replies

I do NOT mean that she is allowed to eat three Snickers bars or an entire bag of Doritos.

She has been losing weight to the tune of over 20 lbs in the past year and a half. No medical reason (of yet), but they are still testing. Her doctor doesn't want her to gain weight (although it wouldn't hurt for her to gain 10 lbs or so), the doctor wants her to show an ability to MAINTAIN her weight. She goes in every three months for check ups and weigh ins.

Yes, her doctor has talked to her to find out if she has eating disorder... she doesn't. It is clear that she is not concerned at all with her weight. She tells the pedi that she simply isn't hungry. She never feels hungry... and mommy and daddy told her not to eat of boredom ("oops" on us). We aren't sure why she isn't receiving her body's hunger cues.

So when I say that she is on a high-fat, high-cal diet... please don't jump me and assume that I am pumping my child full of junk food to "put on the pounds". I'm not. Many seem to be under this assumption.

We take her meals and modify them....

we add whole milk cheese to her enchiladas, instead of the skim cheese I use on my husband's enchiladas,

we replaced her skim milk, with whole milk

we encourage her to snack throughout the day on sustaining foods that are full of good fats, carbs, and proteins... crackers and peanut butter, chicken salad sandwiches....

when she wants her favorite (sliced cucumbers), we add homemade ranch as a dipping sauce

she drinks supplemental protein shakes

we serve her a plate at the dining room table (with us). Many times she will eat just because the rest of us are so busy eating and talking

we never say "no" if she wants a snack

Just FYI. Not intended to anyone in particular.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brenna
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Hang in there honey. We are gluten free at my house. Why can't kids be easy? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChelseasFamily
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I'm a doctor, and I'm completely aware of what a high-fat diet is and I'm glad that it sounds like you and your husband understand how to manage it correctly. Kudos to you. You wouldnt believe the amount of people who honestly, really do think it means to tae your kid to McDonalds twice a day, and feed them ice cream whenever they ask.

Major props to you and your husband for understanding what a high-fat diet is :)

ChelseasFamily
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM

How easy was it to transition to gluten-free? I'm considering doing it (we're about half there right now) but how did you manage the transition to being FULLY gluten free? And, what products are the hardest to find?

Quoting Brenna:

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM

im right with you momma. My son also drank these thick shakes that were full of calories but if I gave it to him in the morning he wouldnt eat the rest of the day. it was so hard with 3 and they all have special diets of some sort....geesh...i hated cooking. They are all fine and at their goal weights now tho...PTL!!!

Brenna
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM
It's not hard. I had to go cold turkey for myself a few years ago. My husband and oldest son don't have celiac, but my youngest and I do. Summer is the hardest with lots of picnics and potlucks. I can't trust anyone else's cooking.

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

How easy was it to transition to gluten-free? I'm considering doing it (we're about half there right now) but how did you manage the transition to being FULLY gluten free? And, what products are the hardest to find?

Quoting Brenna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh you wouldn't believe the bashing I received on another post when I stated that, for the aforementioned reasons, I didn't want my child taught the standard nutrition curricula in school...

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

I'm a doctor, and I'm completely aware of what a high-fat diet is and I'm glad that it sounds like you and your husband understand how to manage it correctly. Kudos to you. You wouldnt believe the amount of people who honestly, really do think it means to tae your kid to McDonalds twice a day, and feed them ice cream whenever they ask.

Major props to you and your husband for understanding what a high-fat diet is :)

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

ChelseasFamily
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Good God. That's ridiculous. I didn't see your original post, but why anyone would bash you for that is slightly insane..

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oh you wouldn't believe the bashing I received on another post when I stated that, for the aforementioned reasons, I didn't want my child taught the standard nutrition curricula in school...

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

reava
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

I remember that post, it was terrible. (not the post, but the replies)  I work with special needs kids and many of them are on special diets for various reasons, so I had a pretty good idea what you were talking about when you said she was on a high fat diet.  Good luck to you guys.  I hope everything turns out great for you all.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I think that people were misunderstanding what a high fat, high cal diet actually is.

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

Good God. That's ridiculous. I didn't see your original post, but why anyone would bash you for that is slightly insane..

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting ChelseasFamily:

rebel_mommy09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM

My 1yr old was staying at the same weight and not gaining for a few months. Long story short I was told to add oatmeal to muffins and pancakes, cook with whole milk instead of water where I can, and have him eat lots of alvacados.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)