Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need birthday ideas for my Dad (No, there's no drama, but please help anyway)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM
  • 22 Replies

My Dad's 61st birthday is coming up. He has everything. My parents are very well off, and any time they see something they want, they go out and buy it. Granted, my dad's busted his ass his whole life and he deserves every penny, but it makes it hard on 'us kids' when it comes time for presents. 

Up until a few years ago, he really enjoyed wood working, and I would get him gift cards for tools and stuff like that. He's gone back to work though (hated being retired) and now works 12 hour days, usually 6 days a week. He has no time for 'fun' stuff anymore.

So, what do you get the work-o-holic Dad who already has everything? 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Come on people, PLEASE??? 

chygal
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:52 PM

A picture of you in a cool frame

SLGross215
by Sarah on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I make stuff for gifts. My dad just had his bday and I made him a can cozy out of a Vikings outfit he bought for my son about a year ago. So he got something that was his fave team, but it was something that belonged to his grandson too. He loved it.

FotoFlexer_Animation-2.gif #2 picture by SLGross215

angie729
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Your time...take him out to lunch one day..just you and him

Drippiningirls
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Can you make him a "treat" basket with things he loves?  What about a mini digital pic display for his keys with pics of grandkids?  What kind of work does he do...maybe a "pamper" basket with insoles or I dunno what it's called but it's a little bag that you squish and it gives off warmth.

CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Awwwww that's so sweet!!!! 

Quoting SLGross215:

I make stuff for gifts. My dad just had his bday and I made him a can cozy out of a Vikings outfit he bought for my son about a year ago. So he got something that was his fave team, but it was something that belonged to his grandson too. He loved it.

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I like the idea of you hanging out with him for a day (or part of one). You could also make a collage of pictures of you and any siblings from when you were born to the present (and you can even add your kids if you want). I hope you find the perfect gift. :-)

CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Oh that's a good idea! He's doing a lot of traveling now with his job - maybe I could put together a travel basket with some candy and nuts and stuff in it too??

He's trying to get grants for a new 'green' energy efficient company he and his friend have started. Before that, he was an electrical engineer for 30 years.  

Quoting Drippiningirls:

Can you make him a "treat" basket with things he loves?  What about a mini digital pic display for his keys with pics of grandkids?  What kind of work does he do...maybe a "pamper" basket with insoles or I dunno what it's called but it's a little bag that you squish and it gives off warmth.

CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I like that idea too, but he's SO busy it hard to find time. I wouldn't want him to feel obligated.

I see him quite a bit on the weekends. It's not just 'us' but he's a big family man and he would rather be around the grand kids, I think. 

Quoting MPWifeJessicia:

I like the idea of you hanging out with him for a day (or part of one). You could also make a collage of pictures of you and any siblings from when you were born to the present (and you can even add your kids if you want). I hope you find the perfect gift. :-)

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Well, maybe you could invite him over a cookout with the family on the weekend. I think a travel gift basket would be nice. Does he take overnight trips with this job or just day trips? If it is overnight, you can get him a new shaving kit and fill it full of goodies for the road.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)