Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman billed for WAITING in the ER

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

This is nuts!  I would be sooooooo pissed!

Mesquite Woman Said She Was Charged To Wait in ER

A Mesquite woman said she was charged to wait at Texas Regional Medical Center in Sunnyvale last month.

"I was never triaged, I was never seen by a nurse or a physician or anyone in that facility," she said.

Katheryn Dunn, 41, said she signed her name on the hospital's emergency room waiting list after experiencing severe cramping. A doctor in the ER told those in the waiting room that it would take up to five hours before they would be treated, so Dunn and her husband left.

Two weeks later, Dunn received a bill for $197.22. The hospital's billing department refused to cancel the charge.

"I think it's wrong when I called to speak to the billing department about it the first thing they asked is what my insurance provider was," she said. "I told her I'm not insured and I'm not giving you that information because I wouldn't want an insurance company to pay a charge that is not a legitimate charge."

No one at the hospital returned calls for comment. Both Parkland and Baylor hospitals in Dallas said they have policies against billing patients unless they receive services.

babies

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiernansmom08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I know the hospital here charges you if the nurse triages you - takes your vitals - and you leave, but I don't know about just signing your name.

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I had to take my husband to the ER recently, and after waiting for over three hours we were ready to leave. Luckily, they did tell us that if we left we would be billed and insurance wouldn't cover it...we decided to wait it out.

I think it is ridiculous, though!

judybant
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM

well... that really sucks! I hope that national attention gets that bill reversed!

mommaboudreaux
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

mommy.since.09

I don't believe it. You're triaged before your registered. If they had her insurance information she was triaged.

And according to her, she left right when she was told there was a 5 hour wait. Which is quite suspicious, cuz where *I* have been (all hospitals i volunteered at* it was ILLEGAL for us to give a specific wait time. We had to say we weren't able to give one.

RmeWifey01

I would certainly be taking that to the media. Watch how fast they back down and cancel the bill then.

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Wow, that is so crazy, I've never heard of that.

Quoting MPWifeJessicia:

I had to take my husband to the ER recently, and after waiting for over three hours we were ready to leave. Luckily, they did tell us that if we left we would be billed and insurance wouldn't cover it...we decided to wait it out.

I think it is ridiculous, though!

babies

mrs.c123
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM

wow, i live here in mesquite area and we have been to that hospital when my husband was really sick this past year, i was so pissed at them because they treated us like shit and not wanting to hardly do anything, my husband has a brain tumor and he was having severe head pain and they wouldnt even do a ct scan to see if he was having some type of blockage or anything, they started an iv line on him but never gave him anything except some meds that they give to cancer patients that is extremely hard to handle, he nearly passed out and they left us sitting in the room for hours before coming back in and just offering him some phenegran (sp?).. the only reason we went there was because he didnt want to go and wait at the VA thinking that regional would have been quicker.. we will never go back to that hospital again, so if i was that lady i wouldnt pay it either.

ff-princess
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I had the same thing happen here.  they triaged me, I waited for over 5 hours with a horrific migraine.  they were going to give me a pregnancy test before they did anything else, but it never even got to that point.  I ended up leaving because I wasn't getting anywhere.  I went to another ER where they treated me and I was home within 3 hours. 

I had to fight and fight, both with my insurance company and with the hospital.  the insurance company paid the claim, and the hospital billed me for the co-pay.  I fought with the insurance company to deny the claim, because I never received any service, and they had a claim from the other ER for the same date of service.  I then had to fight the hospital, because they sent the bill for the copay to collections, yet no one could ever provide a detailed bill of services. 

tomatoqueen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Not always. I live in TX and used to live in Mesquite.

Unless you come in and are in obvious distress like a reaction to a bee sting or chest pains and the person with you is complaining, the way it works is that you sign your name, you wait, then, you are taken to get insurance info, then you wait, then you see a nurse, then you wait.  I have signed in and waited hours before triage when the ER was busy.  Wait times are given around here. I can even call right now and ask what the wait time is and be told it is running around 3 hours unless the situation is one that needs to be seen immediately.

Quoting mommy.since.09:

I don't believe it. You're triaged before your registered. If they had her insurance information she was triaged.

And according to her, she left right when she was told there was a 5 hour wait. Which is quite suspicious, cuz where *I* have been (all hospitals i volunteered at* it was ILLEGAL for us to give a specific wait time. We had to say we weren't able to give one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)