Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy needs a time out!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 11 Replies
So, There has been two times recently that my DD (almost two years old) throws a HUGE fit right before we lay down for nap/bedtime. Both times she cried and cried and cried...she was inconsolable. She throws a tantrum for a good 20-30 min nomatter what I do to try to appease her. I know parenthood isnt all rainbows and lollypops 24/7, but It gets SO over-whelming when she does this. So much so that I have to leave the room for a couple minutes for a "time out" so I dont get too frusterated. Eventho its never more than 2 or 3 min, I feel like a mean mama leaving her alone like that. I dont know what else to do tho...what do you do when you get super over-whelmed to calm down?? Do you think its bad for me to leave baby girl alone? Its only been twice and she was in a safe place both times (PLEASE no bashing!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrjjmt
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I  think thats a great idea. I believe that she will be fine to be left alone for a few minutes if that is what you need to stay calm.

Mama_of_two123
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM
Thank you :o)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM

She is almost 2, it is fine and better you cool down than do or say something you do not mean or mean to do.  Mine is 2 months and screams like a banshee unless I am holding her, but sometimes I have to put her down and let her scream it out because I just cannot hold her all day plus do everything such as cooking.

mommypeezee
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:05 AM

i dont think its a bad thing. she's two years old, so as long as she can't get hurt i dont see the harm.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:35 AM

At that age, walking away helps eveyrone calm down.  That is the age i started walking away from dd or any child i watch if they are having a fit.  The fits are usually for attention when they get over tired.

bananahammock1
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Youre supposed to walk away and cool down for a few! Thats called being a good mom and recognizing that YOU NEED A BREAK!

lcappytan05
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM

It's not bad at all. They tell moms to do that all the time. Kids can feel tension and it doesn't help if you're not calm. It's completely okay for you to set her down and leave the room for a minute or two to collect yourself.

Don't feel bad mama!

Avasmom326
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM

aww honey bless you for being such a concerned mom!!! you sound like a great mother and no one should bash you for this!!! absolutely nothing wrong w/ it at all!  very good idea.

ColieO
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Pop in a movie for him and go to another room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:45 AM
I don't think its a bad idea obviously. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)