Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids important to your family?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM
  • 30 Replies

So I'm starting to notice...When i have birthday parties for my kids the only people in my family who show up are my mom and my sister. Last year for my oldest's 3rd birthday we rented a big bounce house with a waterslide attatched to it for all the kids because almost all my friends have kids. well i invited my whole family (which is huge) to the party and everyone said they were coming. So i bought all kinds of food and drinks that way everyone would be taken care of. Once again the only people in my family who showed up was my mom and my sister. Well my son didnt notice that year or so i thought.

Well his birthday is July 20th..His party is going to be at Chuck E Cheese on the 17th. I invited everyone and they said they would come. Well my son asked me "mommy is our family actually going to come this year to see me?" it broke my heart. especially when i had to tell him i wasent sure. I was hoping since he loves chuck e cheese he wouldnt notice if they didn't come.

I was just wondering if this happens to everyone else..or is it just my family. They dont care for DH and sometimes i think that's why they dont come. I don't know though.

For my youngest son they all showed up for his 1st birthday..Well all i got was cake and icecream because i was prepared for no one to come and they all complained because there was no food! Sometimes i really just feel like never inviting them to anything!!

Sorry it's kind of a vent..But i would like to know if other families do this too.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM

We live hours upon hours away from family, if we lived close and they were punishing a child to spite my husband, I'd be furious.  I may resort to not speaking to them for awhile.  My dad had to do this with his family when I was a kid, because his mother was treating my mother so horribly.  His mom still is horrible, but she knows if she wants contact with us kids (we're all grown) or my dad, she can't be her usual bitch-self.

BabyinAug08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM

It is hard for our families to be involved because we live in Florida and my family is in New Jersey and my in-laws are in Honduras. Only one of my BIL live in Orlando near us. However, my family sends DS cards and gifts on christmas, birthday, and easter. DHs family is very poor so they don't do much but we are celebrating DS 2nd birthday in thier country this year so they are very excited. 

mamivon2
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM

My family lives overseas. My dh family is too busy getting drunk or high or have another lame excuse. My mil and 1 bil usually come (unless bil has to work)

ColieO
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Most of my family shows up for Gages birthday parties.

Leener3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Just a suggestion, but maybe they don't have any interest in going to Chuckie Cheese?   Because they all showed up for the ice cream & cake party, maybe they are trying to tell you that they would like to join you but want to socialize with the family rather than watch 200 screaming kids pounding on a gopher's head!  Maybe throwing an ice cream and cake party for family only and saving the bounsey ball stuff for friends w/kids is a better idea.

Leener3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM

They are your family, have you ever asked them this question?

SweetCakes
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM

we all live very close...no more than 15 minutes from each others houses. I go to EVERY party I'm invited to..Just to let them know i care. I'm very social and nice to my family. So we aren't distant. We have stopped visiting a lot of them because they make DH feel out of place..And everytime we do visit or go to parties..Some of my family complains because my kids have nothing to do with them...It's like I'm expected to put all the effort into my kids knowing who they are and liking them when they cant even show up to a birthday party! It really bothers me!

SweetCakes
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Quoting Leener3:

Just a suggestion, but maybe they don't have any interest in going to Chuckie Cheese?   Because they all showed up for the ice cream & cake party, maybe they are trying to tell you that they would like to join you but want to socialize with the family rather than watch 200 screaming kids pounding on a gopher's head!  Maybe throwing an ice cream and cake party for family only and saving the bounsey ball stuff for friends w/kids is a better idea.

This is what we did last year..Just a party at my house and no one showed up..So we are going to chuck e cheese this year because DS wanted to do it there...and i thought he wouldnt notice if they didnt come because he would be too busy..Ive tried having it many different places and it makes no difference...they dont come.
Leener3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM

So, my second question.... have you ever asked them?  Or maybe your sister or mom could find out why?

KrissyMama88
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:57 PM

my family hates me for some reason they've hated me literally since i was 13 so now they have nothing to do with my kids very rarely do they see my kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)