Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holding food in her mouth... Edit...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

My 2.5 dd has started holding food in her mouth when she is eating. She will chew it but not swallow it. What is going on with her???? How do I get her to stop?????

ETA: How can we get her to swallow?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juveli
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM

pick your battles mama, i think just as long as she doesnt keep it their untill the meal is over then you will be okay.

sojourner.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I'm fighting the same battle, and have no solutions yet. It takes DD an hour to eat the same thing her brother eats in 15 minutes. Bugs the crap out of me!

x-blissfulmom-o
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:48 PM

My son has done this for quiet a while. He is 23 months old today. I have no idea why he does it or how to get him to stop. I know that they say it can be a sign of a child not being fed enough but I know that isn't the case here. I let him eat whenever he is hungry. Also, he will spit it out if he wants a drink or something else. I've caught him several times with a cheek full. Makes me sooooo nervous. Maybe someone will have some good ideas for us.

tigerlillyt7
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
Don't make a big deal of it, or it will turn into a problem. Ignore it . Give her something to drink when you see her doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deek3579
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
Omg are we raising the same kids???

Quoting sojourner.:

I'm fighting the same battle, and have no solutions yet. It takes DD an hour to eat the same thing her brother eats in 15 minutes. Bugs the crap out of me!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deek3579
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM
I tried the drink and she will hold that too.

Quoting tigerlillyt7:

Don't make a big deal of it, or it will turn into a problem. Ignore it . Give her something to drink when you see her doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deek3579
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM
She would hold it for hours if I let her.

Quoting juveli:

pick your battles mama, i think just as long as she doesnt keep it their untill the meal is over then you will be okay.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marshsmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM

My son did this, he has stopped recently.  He'll be 3 in August.  I really think it's a phase, kind of like he was learning about the texture of food and how it changes when it's eaten, or something, lol?  Anywho, we didn't make a big deal out of it, but on occasion I would make him spit it out because it was getting gross.  He would never swallow it and then he would try to talk and liquid pb & j would fall out of his mouth...ewwww. 

ambersmommy730
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM

A little girl that I used to baby-sit for did that around this age. She eventually quit on her own. We'd see if we could get her to spit it out for us. Sometimes she would, sometimes not. If not, we'd watch her closely until she did.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
marshsmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Mine did too.  He would hold it in his mouth until bed time.  The sippy cup of milk before he went to sleep always prompted him to either spit or swallow.

Quoting deek3579:

She would hold it for hours if I let her.

Quoting juveli:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)