Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a teenage daughter...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM
  • 39 Replies

What kind of dress code does her school have?  I've been wondering this a lot lately.  I see these girls walking around wearing less clothes than I wear to the beach, and I just don't get it.  When I was a teenager, we would be sent home from school to change if our shorts or skirts weren't longer than our fingertips when we held our arms down at our sides.  We weren't allowed to wear halter tops, tube tops, or tank tops with spaghetti straps.  Furthermore, why are mothers letting their daughters dress like this?  I saw a girl at the pediatricians office today who couldn't have been more than 12 or 13.  She was wearing skin tight Daisy Dukes, a t-shirt that looked like it probably belonged to her younger brother, and enough black eyeliner to write a novel with.  And it wasn't just that, I mean the way she sat in her chair with her back arched, throwing flirtatious glances around the room......*shudder* my God she was so young her toes barely reached to the floor!  I just don't understand why any mother would allow her young daughter to sexualize herself like this.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamissy316
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM

BUMP!

natty31105
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM

my daughters school the skirts have to be 2 inches past the fingertips, tank top straps I think one inch, and no belly showing. They had swimming for PE, and she was allowed to wear her bikini tho. That shocked the heck outta me.

mamamissy316
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Quoting natty31105:

my daughters school the skirts have to be 2 inches past the fingertips, tank top straps I think one inch, and no belly showing. They had swimming for PE, and she was allowed to wear her bikini tho. That shocked the heck outta me.

Oh yeah, we couldn't have our bellies showing either.  The bikini thing is rather shocking.  We had to wear these 50's era swimsuits that the school provided!

WhiskerLickins
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Tell me why just today I saw a mother with her daughter that couldn't have been older that 10 (yes, TEN) in VICTORIA'S SECRET buying her sexy panties and bras?!  SERIOUSLY!  I could not believe my eyes.  That is just way too young to be wearing lacy thongs and see through panties!!  Completely inappropriate.  I didn't wear my first thong until I was 17!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
WhiskerLickins
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM

When I took swimming in high school the girls were only allowed to wear 1 pieces and they had to be preapproved by the school before we could wear them for class.

Quoting mamamissy316:

Quoting natty31105:

Oh yeah, we couldn't have our bellies showing either.  The bikini thing is rather shocking.  We had to wear these 50's era swimsuits that the school provided!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
natty31105
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Quoting mamamissy316:

Quoting natty31105:

LOL are those the ones with the bottoms like shorts? I think those are cute! It was definately shocking! I had to wear a one piece and she is in the same school district. The kid has more of a figure than I do, I can only imagine the drooling boys.

JAIRATRACI
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I only have boys but my mom let me wear what I wanted to. Why did she do this? Because she knew that even if she didn't want me to I would find a way to dress how I wanted to. I have had friends who's moms wouldn't let them wear stuff that showed their skin so they would go to friend's house in the morning and change or just change in the bathroom at school and then change back at the end of the day. The dress code at my school in TX was very strict but I would wear the tank top that wasn't allowed with a jacket or button down shirt over it and just hold it closed whenever a teacher was near by. In CA the dress code wasn't strict in any sense of the word. You couldn't show your butt checks, your breasts/nipples, you couldn't wear hats or shirts that advertised things like drugs, sex, cigarettes, or alcohol. I had an outfit that was made up of a lace dress with a pair of shorts and a very short long sleeve shirt underneath it. You couldn't see anything but my stomach. If a girl wants to wear the stuff she will find a way. It's not that hard.

Mommy to Thour Barden 02/02/02, Mikhail Reid 07/10/07, Liam Doyle 04/25/09 and Wyatt Alexander 07/06/10
mamamissy316
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Whaaaaaa?????

Well I hope that mom doesn't mind raising her grandchild while her daughter goes to middle school.

Quoting WhiskerLickins:

Tell me why just today I saw a mother with her daughter that couldn't have been older that 10 (yes, TEN) in VICTORIA'S SECRET buying her sexy panties and bras?!  SERIOUSLY!  I could not believe my eyes.  That is just way too young to be wearing lacy thongs and see through panties!!  Completely inappropriate.  I didn't wear my first thong until I was 17!

mamamissy316
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

I only have boys but my mom let me wear what I wanted to. Why did she do this? Because she knew that even if she didn't want me to I would find a way to dress how I wanted to. I have had friends who's moms wouldn't let them wear stuff that showed their skin so they would go to friend's house in the morning and change or just change in the bathroom at school and then change back at the end of the day. The dress code at my school in TX was very strict but I would wear the tank top that wasn't allowed with a jacket or button down shirt over it and just hold it closed whenever a teacher was near by. In CA the dress code wasn't strict in any sense of the word. You couldn't show your butt checks, your breasts/nipples, you couldn't wear hats or shirts that advertised things like drugs, sex, cigarettes, or alcohol. I had an outfit that was made up of a lace dress with a pair of shorts and a very short long sleeve shirt underneath it. You couldn't see anything but my stomach. If a girl wants to wear the stuff she will find a way. It's not that hard.

But if the girl is taught to have enough respect for her body (not to mention concern for her safety) then she wouldn't be trying to sneak off to school looking like she's after a piece.  And the mother can still have control over the clothes that her daughter owns.

mamaof4_
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM
She wears a collared shirt (school colors), and jeans. Her school has more options for pants but she likes jeans best. Shorts are knee-length or longer. She's 15. She's going into her sophomore year. Outside of school she typically wears jean shorts (not up to her butt short but not at her knees; in the middle), her tops are all pretty modest. She's not the typical 15 yr old though. Her and I have a very open and honest relationship. (she's my niece, I have custody). I'm only 26. We're more like sisters. She's a straight A student and is very well behaved. She honestly has no desire to dress like a slut (couldn't find the right words.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)