Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor baby :( [ UPDATE! ]

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM
  • 35 Replies

A couple days ago, my one year old broke the baby gate on the top of the stairs. She's nearly two, and can climb up and down on her own [ but we never leave her unsupervised ]. Well, SO and I were still discussing what to do about the situation. We may have to add an extra block to the banister because the gate doesn't want to stay on anymore [ rather, there's not much area to press it against ].

Anyways, instead of leaving my daughter's door open when she naps, I've been closing it, since she knows how to open the baby gate there as well. Just out of precautious measures. My SO put her down for her nap today, and I didn't think that he would leave her door open, and he obviously wasn't thinking about the consequences either, since she's been climbing down the stairs every night regardless of the gate being there [ We hear the click of the gate and immediately run up to make sure she doesn't fall ]. This time, since there was no gate click sound, since the gate isn't up, my daughter started to come down without us realizing it. That's when I heard the scream and I dashed up, and she had fallen halfway down the stairs. It felt like slow motion as I made it around the corner to see her body flailing down. I sat on the steps and held her close as she bawled, and I felt so horrible that it even happened. I'm also grateful that she didn't break any bones, and all she got was a small bruise on her head. She was perfectly fine within two minutes, as I had SO grab a toy to distract her from the pain. No signs of a concussion, thank God.

Or course, as if that wasn't bad enough, SO said he'd finish grocery shopping for me and take our daughter with him so I can have some time to myself to get some work done. What happens? The dork wasn't watching as me and bubs were walking out, and the car door smacked her in the face D: Geeze, I don't think my daughter is having a good day!

He is making it up to her by getting her favorite bread rolls, and she won a pair of shrek ogre ears from her last McDonald's apple pack, so he's picking that up as well.

Please don't bash D: I feel bad enough as it is.. My SO is a clutz, and I think he feels worse than I do at the moment :(

Update:

SO and Alexis just came home, and I rushed to get my camera for this shot :)

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MPWifeJessicia
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Awwww, accidents happen, Momma. I hope she has a better day tomorrow!

sweetfaces4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM

awww poor baby. But things happen, and kids are actually really tough. Like you said, luckily nothing was broken, and she'll forgive and forget (I'm sure she already has).  Some kids are just more daring then others, and they'll do just about anything either unaware of what could happen or just don't care LOL... My 2yo is the same way. Believe me, this won't be the last thing that happens.  =)

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Quoting MPWifeJessicia:

Awwww, accidents happen, Momma. I hope she has a better day tomorrow!

It's Sunday afternoon here, tomorrow is Monday :) We always go to playgroup on Monday and she loves it, so yes, I hope she has a better day tomorrow too

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Quoting sweetfaces4:

awww poor baby. But things happen, and kids are actually really tough. Like you said, luckily nothing was broken, and she'll forgive and forget (I'm sure she already has).  Some kids are just more daring then others, and they'll do just about anything either unaware of what could happen or just don't care LOL... My 2yo is the same way. Believe me, this won't be the last thing that happens.  =)

I admit, I worry she will grow up to be like I was as a kid. I used to climb up roofs, and trees, and all sorts of wild things LOL.

MOMby19
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Awwww! Your poor DD. I've had days like that with both my kids and I always feel horrible, too! I hope she has fun at playgroup tomorrow!! :D

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Poor baby.... Our Dog Knocked DS off our front porch 2 times!! I cried more than he did... it scared the CRAP out of me!!! Im glad she is ok!! Hopefully tomorrow is better!!!

OH and BTW I accidently hit DS in the face with our bedroom door yesterday!! I felt soooo bad! I made him a Grilled PB & J for lunch to make it up to him!!!

srose73
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM
This totally reminds me of what happened to our son once. him and his dad were just about to leave so his dad had opened the gate. He forgot something so he put our son (my baby!!!!)down and went to get it. I head out to where our son was put, and when I got there, our son was at the top with his back to the stairs! I yell for david and go for him, and when I did that, I startled him and away he went, along with his dad chasing him. He rolled all the way down and was just fine. Thank goodness for miracles huh? Hugs mommy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rikkiandmichele
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Even though your daughter had a bad day, at least God was with her and she survived.  I know how mommas hurt when their babies hurt, so I wish yall both well.

anarmyslove
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Ok so no bashing from anyone here but this is what i do with my kids and i know this sounds really really bad but since my kids are escaped con artist lol we had to invest in 2 baby gates. I actually have to stack them up in their door so when i lay them down for a nap they can't get out. I was doin dishes one day and my oldest DD snuck out without me hearing her and grabbed a black permanent marker and wrote all over her walls lol. So i put both baby gates up when they lay down for their nap and when they go to bed at night to keep them from getting into stuff the next day. Sorry your DD had a bad day hope it goes better tomorrow.

davisn1106
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:48 AM
Ugh baby gates are the worst imo I tripped over 2 of them already as recent as a mth ago I fractured my elbow and messed up some ligaments in my wrist we use them at my moms house and now she refuses to put them up any more. At least your little one is ok poor baby hope she has a better day :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)