Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there some sort of prize that I missed?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

Hi... I am just wondering, because I miss a lot of stuff, is there some sort of big prize, or ribbon or something for moms who have their child "potty trained" the minute they turn 2 or something?

I see SO many posts asking, "Why won't she do this?" "Why is he not using the toilet all of a sudden?" And after reading, I find out that this kid isn't even 3 yet.  What's the rush? Seriously. Unless there's an underlying medical condition that prevents it, I believe you'd be hard pressed to find a single kid who's actually gone to kindergarten in diapers.

I have a niece who spent almost 5 months sitting her kids on the toilet every 5 minutes, then it was every 10 minutes... then 20, and if they peed or poo'd in between there, then it'd go back to the previous time frame. She was SO proud that her boy hadn't had an accident in 4 weeks! Well, she wasn't taking into consideration that he was still wearing a diaper to bed, because he peed nearly all night long, AND the fact that HE wasn't potty trained, SHE was just trained to set a timer, and take him to the potty. He had no idea why he was sitting on that thing all day long! I finally convinced her, after he went on a pissing spree, to just put him back in a diaper, and let HIM decide when it was time. Sure enough... just before his 4th birthday, he stopped peeing at night, and within a couple of weeks, was asking to use the toilet for both urine and feces.

I mean, there's no awards ceremony, is there? My oldest son was with a babysitter who was very diligent about suggesting potty time when he'd eat or drink, but the MINUTE that boy fell asleep, he'd start to pee. Not even joking. He was just about 4 when he finally figured it out.

My youngest son, he was dry at night starting about a month or 2 before his 3rd birthday. He was just too busy to care during the day. It wasn't worth it to me to force him to care, so I just waited. Sure enough, one day, he was playing while supper cooked, and all of a sudden, yelled, "HOLY COW! I GOTTA GO POOP!" and raced off down the hallway, shedding ALL of his clothes, (took another month or 2 to convince him we didn't need to be completely naked to go potty) and stripping off the diaper, used the little potty chair as a step to get to the toilet, got up there, did his business, and had exactly one accident, 2 days later, but never, ever wore a diaper again. He was 3 years, 5 months, and 6 days old. He was just ready.

I just don't see the need to fuss and stress over this one! There are so many things a kid that age has to learn how to do, and something as natural as eliminating bodily waste shouldn't be a bone of contention. Just let 'em be little!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
judybant
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM

BUMP!

jodyann2
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM

yeah seriously!

MaeHamMomma
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM

My son turned 3 yesterday and is not even close. Although he does LOVE to wear his big brothers unda-wares (as he calls them)

PradaBaby
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM

I would sooooo not win that prize. My oldest didn't potty train until he was damn near 4 and my almost 3 year old is not potty trained yet. We tried today again with the big girl underwear but after 2 hours she just refused and asked for a diaper. She did potty twice in the potty chair though and i made a big deal out of it praising her but she didnt' really care lol

AMCMSM
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM

My DD turned 2 in April and has ZERO interest in potty training. Oh well......she will when she is ready. She is stubborn little thing and will do it in her own time. She does go get a diaper and wipes for me. She come and tells me " momma I pooped. It is disgusting! " . She knows what the potty is for but, really could care less.

Joeysmom6
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:10 AM
I believe in self led potty training. DS is just over a year old and tells me when he has to go. I think its great, but it NOT the norm. I would never push him. He goes on the potty because HE is ready and because HE wants to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCarterof5
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

I TOTALLY agree. I've gone down the potty training road many times now and frankly... it happens when it happens. I don't give a rats behind how fast another mother has her kiddo trained and I don't feel like my children are special if they trained early nor do I feel like they headed for a lifetime of misery if they don't have it mastered by the time everyone else believes it should be done. My twins just turned 3, and when my one son came downstairs this morning, scratched his belly like AL Bundy and went into the bathroom and took a pee without announcing it, it was a little victory. 

Sometimes I think women on here make such a big deal out of such little things because they feel the need to gage their parenting abilities against others to somehow fulfill some part of them that is insecure. Newsflash... in a few years, it won't matter what age they were when they took their first step, slept all night without an accident, or learned how to spell their name. Yes.. .they are little victories- but for goodness sakes- as you said, "let 'em be little!"

Photobucket

connietrrll
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM

I guess I am the oddball here. My kids were all potty trained by 2. They did not use diapers at night, or even pull-ups. I did not sit them on the potty ever 10 minutes. They just did it. I don't see anything wrong either way. Although at 3 or 4 I may not like that they are not potty trained (JMO).

MamaCarterof5
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I had some early trainers and late trainers. I reallllly dislike buying pull ups, but ya know- it's not the end of the world. Just to clarify, I don't like changing diapers. Bwahaha.... what Mom does? If I could hire one of those chinese trainers who teach their babes to pee when they hear a bell or whistle, I'd be on it! LOL!!!! But, realistically.. nah-- it happens when it happens. (but I think we all agree it would be wonderful if it were sooner than later :-D )

Quoting connietrrll:

I guess I am the oddball here. My kids were all potty trained by 2. They did not use diapers at night, or even pull-ups. I did not sit them on the potty ever 10 minutes. They just did it. I don't see anything wrong either way. Although at 3 or 4 I may not like that they are not potty trained (JMO).

Photobucket

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:20 AM

My son will be 5 two weeks from today, and he still has frequent accidents. I'm not worried about it. And if the school is, they can kiss my ass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)