Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My tiny peanut does not like to eat!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:55 AM
  • 15 Replies

So Molly seems to have little appetite in general and only really eats one meal a day.  She has been on the cusp of being underweight.  And now she was just VERY sick for a week with the nora virus.  She lost 2 lbs being sick and now weighs 17 lbs at almost 14 months old.  She has a follow up this week and I know now they will be bugging me about her weight now.

So my question is does anyone elses's 1 yr old eat this little.  And anyone have healthy ideas for bumping up her weight?

Thanks!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balow929
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Try feeding her small meals throughout the day. I have to feed my 18 month old who only weighs 20lbs 3 meals and at least 2 snacks and give her goldfish and other carb loaded snacks that will help boost her weight

TessB

My l/o is the same age and he doesn't care for people food except fruit...so I let him have as much of it as he wants. I haven't weaned him either because he isn't eating food food yet.

Google high calorie diet, but it won't be much help if she doesn't eat. Have you tried pediasure (sp?)?

No_Worries
Well my daughter is 10 and has always had a bird appetite she can still wear 24 months clothes in the waist her ped put her in pediasure and told me to give her vitamins she is rather petite and is extremely picky bout wat she eats
Btw wat is Nora virus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2little1s
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I want to aviod pediasure and I know the doc will suggest that.  It has too much sugar for my tastes.  I might try to look for a better alternative drink at the natural food store.  I only feed the girls natural foods and they have very little refined sugar.

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

momof2little1s
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Actually I wrote it wrong it is noro virus- It is a nasty stomach bug.  She had 2 ER trips for dehydration and was hospitalized for a day.  It was aweful! Her temp hit 105!

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. The most common symptoms of acute gastroenteritis are diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. Norovirus is the official genus name for the group of viruses previously described as “Norwalk-like viruses” (NLV).

Quoting No_Worries:

Well my daughter is 10 and has always had a bird appetite she can still wear 24 months clothes in the waist her ped put her in pediasure and told me to give her vitamins she is rather petite and is extremely picky bout wat she eats
Btw wat is Nora virus

dixielol
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM

My niece is 34 mnths old. She weighs 22 lbs. & wears a 3-6 mnths in shorts & 12 mnth shirts still. Other niece is almost 6. She can wear 18 & 12 months shorts but has to have a 5/6 in pants for the length (can only wear the ones with adjustable wait though). She can wear a 4 in most shirts. She has long legs but a short torso. My nephew on the other hand is 20 mnths & needs a 2/3T in cloths.

The almost 3 yr old looks like she's 12 mnths. She's so tiny no one believes she's almost 3! Most people think she's about 1 so they're amazed that she "can talk so good" lol. The doc said if she loses any more weight she will be on special meds. She only eats Macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes & fries. She wont eat any kind of meat. She loves hard candy but wont eat sweet stuff like cakes/cookies. 

The almost 6 yr old is the same exact height & weighs less then 2 of her 3 yr old cousins. (The doc says she is under weight for her age but he isn't worried about, said she is just small framed)She has a great appetite & will try anything at least ones.

The boy will really eat any kind of food except pizza or hot dogs (weird, I know.) My mom had onion rings & fried chicken liver the other day. She went to get something else to drink, came back & he was shoving both in his mouth! They said he is just really big boned (the size  of a 3 yr old when he isn't 2 yet :)

I wouldn't worry about it. She might just starting eating one day or she may always be small. Are you or the dad small?

momof2little1s
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Wow! Yeah Molly wears 3-6 month tops and is still in 6-9 in everything else.  We are not small at all.  I am 5'7 and DH is 6'3 and we are not small in weight either.

Quoting dixielol:

My niece is 34 mnths old. She weighs 22 lbs. & wears a 3-6 mnths in shorts & 12 mnth shirts still. Other niece is almost 6. She can wear 18 & 12 months shorts but has to have a 5/6 in pants for the length (can only wear the ones with adjustable wait though). She can wear a 4 in most shirts. She has long legs but a short torso. My nephew on the other hand is 20 mnths & needs a 2/3T in cloths.

The almost 3 yr old looks like she's 12 mnths. She's so tiny no one believes she's almost 3! Most people think she's about 1 so they're amazed that she "can talk so good" lol. The doc said if she loses any more weight she will be on special meds. She only eats Macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes & fries. She wont eat any kind of meat. She loves hard candy but wont eat sweet stuff like cakes/cookies. 

The almost 6 yr old is the same exact height & weighs less then 2 of her 3 yr old cousins. (The doc says she is under weight for her age but he isn't worried about, said she is just small framed)She has a great appetite & will try anything at least ones.

The boy will really eat any kind of food except pizza or hot dogs (weird, I know.) My mom had onion rings & fried chicken liver the other day. She went to get something else to drink, came back & he was shoving both in his mouth! They said he is just really big boned (the size  of a 3 yr old when he isn't 2 yet :)

I wouldn't worry about it. She might just starting eating one day or she may always be small. Are you or the dad small?

mistymomma
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

i have the same problem in a way, my son turned 3 in may and he is still only 24 lbs, hes been this weight for over 6 months, the dr's say he is a failure to thrive baby. I wish you good luck

Lullababy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Make every bite count.  Add flax/ olive/ coconut oil to her foods.  Give her avocados, almonds (soaked), walnuts, cashew butter, sunflower butter.  Skip empty calories and cow/ soy milk.  Organic whole cream yogurt, yum!  

Lullababy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM

my 4 yr old weighs 32 lbs.

Quoting mistymomma:

i have the same problem in a way, my son turned 3 in may and he is still only 24 lbs, hes been this weight for over 6 months, the dr's say he is a failure to thrive baby. I wish you good luck

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)