Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What cuts are your school considering?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
  • 15 Replies

The school board here is thinking of making some cuts because they say they don't have the money this year. **Despite the fact the superintendent just took a $4500. yearly raise :(** Somethings they are considering are:

1.) Cutting down/out reduced & free lunches

2.) Charging a student fee (around $5-$10 a year) to each parent, per child

3.) Reducing the school to 4 days a week by adding a few extra hours on each day. (They say this is to save money on the gas since buses would have 1 less trip per week plus drivers would not have to be paid as much since they would be working less days)

4.) Reducing the school to the state min. allowed for the year. (Can't remember for sure but I think that would take about 4 days off the school year)

They say the only thing they are not considering is reducing teachers pay. But they have let a few teachers from each school go & divided there students among the remaining teachers.

What are some things if anything your schools are considering doing? How do you fell about these ideas or do you have ideas of your own that you think would work better?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM

My district laid off 65 classroom aides, and got rid of the Pre K program all together. It's a SHAME.

My neice and nephew's district got rid of music, art, and gym!!!

jcsg
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Our school system is making some big cuts this year.  Mainly because the public is sick and tired of them misusing money and have started to vote things down.  So now they are "getting back" at us. 

No bus service for high school.  Closed a couple of schools.  No bus service if you live w/in 2 miles of school.  No help with uniforms.  No middle school or freshman sports.  They did away with 1/2 the high school sports.  And have changed start and end times for about 1/4 of the schools.  Laid off over 200 teachers, para-professional and school staff.  And they are considering more cuts if they don't get their way this November. 

RLSMOM59
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Forida mandate class size of 18 students in elementary grades. With that said, many schools are creating mulitage classrooms -1/2, 3/4, and 5/6. This helps keep teachers employed and the school does not have to crete a new 1st grade for 5 students. In Brevard, they talked about cutting sports which got all the parents in an uproar. They have cut driver's ed though so now I get to teach my child to drive. The school board has not filled many of the openings posted and for the people who retiured, they are filling it internally.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM

They've laid off a bunch of teachers and are increasing prices.

dixielol
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Wow, sounds like a lot of them are making drastic cuts

Brenna
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM
None.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballyhooligan
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 AM

We lost separate art and music programs in the elementart schools a couple years ago.  Regular Ed teachers now teach it.

Some "non-essential" courses cut from high school

Extracurriculars have been cut or given individual fees

ticket prices at events for spectators have sky rocketed.

We have required "student activity fees" every year ($75 in elementary, $50 in preK/early childhood).

Funding cuts to special ed.

Library services have been cut back.

CONSTANT fundraising by students (which I completely disagee with.  being a student is hard enough.  having to worry about selling enough crap to pay for is inappropriate)

Staff cuts - 16 teachers and 54 support staff let go

we voted in a referendum to pay for school maintenance... roof repair, boilers, asbestos removal.

groovegal
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM
School crossing guards (our aides do this)
at least 3 teachers aides
higher registration fees
possibly the at risk pre-k program (we'll know in a couple of weeks)
gifted program
honors program

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2girls2407
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Missouri cut a lot of funding to the parents as teachers program. As far as the other schools, i don't know.

Rockabilly_ma13
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM

not much. instead they raised sales tax to 7.5% and if you live in a certian area for the school my son is at which we do we pay 50.00 extra on our electric bill and we pay an extra 35 on our water bill.  it's a brand new school costed 7.5 million to build so if you want to live in the neighborhood we do you have to pay extra to the electric co. and the county water to help pay for the costs of the school. I think they are letting teachers go. they made it an earlier school day .. but thats about it.   i don't really care my kid hates school it doesn't matter what they do he will still hate it... and they will still outcast my family so.... yippie for another school year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)