Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you deal with this??

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM
  • 92 Replies

My Grandma just handed me a bag of school supplies, saying that she bought them for my daughter. She had good intentions and Im thankful for that. But I Reallllly wish she would realize that this is something I WANT TO DO WITH MY DAUGTHER. I explained to her that unlike my mom, I want to get this myself, I want to go to whereever and get the stuff on my own. She got all offended an dis now throwing a fit and I feel bad for hrting her feelings.

She does stuff like this often and I often tell her that I am my daughters mom and it is my place to do those things and she alwaysssss gets upset and pissy with me.  Everyone tells me to sit down and talk to her, but it does not help she still gets pissy and offended. How would you handle this situation?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM

i would just thank her and drop it. you can always get more stuff for her without telling your grandma. plus, you'll probably be buying school supplies several times during the year.

kiddycat73
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM
I would be happy for free stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I would have said thank you, and used them at home instead of using them for school.  that way your grandma feels like she helped, and you still get to buy school supplies for your dd yourself.  everyone wins.

richbitch666
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I'm not sure.... Just tell her you appreciate it, but you just want to be responsible for all that. If she gets that offended about it that's a little weird.

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I would tell her I want to talk to her, but I can't with her being pissy. Explain that while you appreciate her generosity (which you probably have) that you really want to have these experiences with your daughter yourself. Maybe compromise and let her by a specific thing or two so she doesn't feel completely left out. Also tell her if she really wants to help out to donate school supplies to a local school. They could definitely use some help at times. Hope it gets better.

southernjess3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM

how about you store those as extras for later and go shopping for now. you can always use extras

mrsJLA
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

This.

Quoting ff-princess:

I would have said thank you, and used them at home instead of using them for school.  that way your grandma feels like she helped, and you still get to buy school supplies for your dd yourself.  everyone wins.

jcsg
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Honestly, unless there is more to this story, I would thank her and let it go.  Sounds like she is just trying to be helpful.  . 

Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Its free as in I didnt spend money on it, but I have to pay for it emotionally. Like I said this is something that happens often,when DD lost her tooth, Grandma came up to me and said she already took her tooth and put money under her pillow. Stuff like that, its not a matter of free stuff.

My mom didnt take me school shopping when I was younger, and thats something I always missed out on, so I want to make it PERFECTLY clear to my daughter that I am just as excited as she is for school supplies, clothes ect.

MarchMarie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

what did she buy that is offending YOU so much? I would understand if it were a backpack and stuff like that... but if it were just notebooks and pencils I would have just let it go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)