Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Door to Door Soliciting

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone else experienced an increase in door-to-door salesmen recently?

I was harassed yesterday by a girl who claimed to be a college student and she said was doing a project about ppl's jobs. She asked what I do for a living and then she whipped out her magazine list and told me how she will win a trip to Hawaii if I buy some magazines. She said this "project" was for a communication class she was taking (yeah right).

Ugg.

When I told her I wasn't interested she became upset and then started yelling at me!! I was shocked!

Anywho, my friend who lives in AZ told me someone came to her door who was selling magazines and saying roughly the same thing.

So, anyone else experiencing this lately? I'm curious to know if my solicitor really lives in my neighborhood (as she claimed) or if she is traveling. I would hate for her to cause me any trouble, considering she knows where I live.

I really need to get a "No Soliciting" sign on my door.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyToEthan
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

i dont answer the door.....period.    

no, i dont want to buy anything.      and no, i dont want to talk about God.

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

iluvmypreemies
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I open the door say NO and shut it in their faces before they can say anything. Then they don't bother me.

MarchMarie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM

OMG, we had tons of those last summer in our area... PITB

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM

there were people around my town doing this but they got the cops on them  i am in illinois

auntietotty
by Elizabeth on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I dont answer the door..its really simple.  My door,my house...I choose who I open it to.

I cant be bothered by ppl selling or soliciting things I dont want..or if I do want, Im smart enough to figure out how to get them on my own.

ballerina18
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:45 PM

See, normally I would just immediately shut the door. However, this interaction was different.

My DD (3 yrs old) pulled open my front door (breaking our top chain lock) and I had to run outside after DD. When I got outside, DD was in the driveway and the solicitor was next door. I've never met my new next door neighbors, so I thought she was my new neighbor. It wasn't until she pulled out the magazine list that I realized that she was a solicitor. At this point I was following DD around our front yard making sure she was staying close so the solicitor was following me and talking to me...ect..

By the time I gathered DD up in my arms, I was finally able to stop and tell the solicitor I wasn't interested. That's when the solicitor had her little hissy fit.

Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM

yeah we have been having that problem also it always gets bad in the summer. if you put up no truspassing at like the end of your dive and that then you could techly have the arrested for trustpassing because of the sign. I personly just quit answering my door. but they could also be seeing if you are home or not to break in that is also a problem that has been going on around here.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I ask to see their peddlers license. My town requires one for door to door selling. Most people dont get them and I threaten to report them...they run away LOL....saves my neighbors the trouble too because if I see them go to a different house I go outside with my phone and pretend to call...

ETA I give them a chance to leave first...I only resort to this if the become annoying and dont take the hint I dont want what they are buying

canelamami
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

We get a lot of kirby doormen at our house, up until I posted the no soliciting sign. I have heard about the magazine sales being a scam. I know the ones where I live are. 

Megalicious79
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM

it happens to us weekly but now I open the door with my dog right next to me growling and they leave quickly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)