Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should safe sex be promoted in schools during sexual education classes?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM
  • 26 Replies

This discussion starts from the point of view that sexual education classes should be given at schools. But does this mean that so-called “safe sex” should also be promoted within these lessons? Safe sex is the practice of sexual activity in a manner that reduces the risk of infection with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) such as Chlamydia and HIV/AIDS, typically by use of condoms. Safe sex also includes sexual practices that do not involve penetration.
Traditionally sexual education lessons have focused on covering the biological facts about human reproduction, and warnings against unsafe sexual practices. Often today sex education is combined with relationships education, in an attempt to place sex in a broader emotional, social and family context. But now every day more and more people talk about “safe sex” and how teenagers should be more informed about protection against STDs. Despite the worries some people have about whether sex should ever be seen as entirely risk-free, every day this so-called "safe sex" is promoted more and more as a solution for the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases amongst teenagers. But what if the promotion of "safe sex" has the opposite effect for which it was introduced in Sexual Education classes? Opponents argue that today sexual education and promoting safe sex are mostly considered the same thing, while it isn't and shouldn't be. They say it is one thing to inform teenagers about sex and it's risks, and quite another to promote and encourage them to use "safe sex" as prevention.

Author:Veronica Perozo

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAnnaBanana
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Of course it should be.  Sexual education needs to educate them on protecting themselves against the risks.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

idk about everywhere else but safe sex was promoted when I went to high school. They stressed abstinence but they also taught us how to be safe if we were going to have sex.

--Nicole--
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Of course. I think it's moronic to teach abstinence only. I'm also for schools giving out condoms.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

MarchMarie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM

My highschool was very absitnence pushing, but did teach us about safER sex, "because the only safe sex is no sex"

PTBAAMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM

PRO:

Parents don’t have absolute rights over their children, society has an important stake in their upbringing and this is primarily carried out through the school system. The costs and social impact of unsafe sexual practices that result in STDs and teen pregnancy are carried by society as a whole, not just the parents of those involved. So education about safe sex is entirely justifiable. In any case, many parents do not feel able to talk to their children about sex, leaving them in a dangerous state of ignorance. 

CON:

It isn’t the place of schools to sexualize our children in this way. Many people believe that sex education should be left to parents, who are best placed to decide what information their children need and when the best time to tell them is. Even if human reproduction has a place in the biology classroom, that is very different from courses of “safe sex” education that promote promiscuity in a way that often undermines the values parents are seeking to impart at home

These are just opinions from other people I read....

Its hard for me to decide...I will teach my kids myself, but I think they would listen more if it came from a Educational Setting.

Solo_Fan

I agree!!

Quoting MommyAnnaBanana:

Of course it should be.  Sexual education needs to educate them on protecting themselves against the risks.

CarlyQ

YES!

Check out my new blog Eggheaded Momma

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

ootalia
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Agree

Quoting MommyAnnaBanana:

SGJsmom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Yes. I think it goes hand in hand.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM

No, that's my job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)