Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should children go to different schools based on their academic ability?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM
  • 32 Replies

Children are different and there should be different kinds of schools to meet their different needs. Children with a talent for music or sport should go to special schools to help them develop their gifts. Less academic children need a vocational education – one that gives them useful skills to prepare them for the workplace. And bright children need more academic schools that push them to learn and achieve as much as they can. Selecting students by ability is the way to make sure we provide each one with the best type of education for them.

On the other hand...Children are different but they are all of equal value. With selective education brighter children are valued more highly, and the rest end up in much worse schools. In mixed ability schools all children are valued equally and can learn a lot from each other. Weaker students gain a lot from having more able children in their class, and brighter ones can be stretched by being asked to help those who need support. And children are often good at some subjects (e.g. English) but weaker at others (e.g. Maths) so selection on ability can make little sense. Such differences are best catered for by having streaming within a mixed-ability school.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PTBAAMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM

BUMP!

MommyChristina1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:25 PM

How about every child going to the same school, working together, but with the school meeting the needs of each INDIVIDUAL student so there are no students who don't reach their full potential, whatever that may be. 

MommyChristina1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Which IMO, is definitely not how school is now.  At least where we live, school is more "do the basics or don't, learn it or don't, we don't care if you are over or under challenged", it seems.

Quoting MommyChristina1:

How about every child going to the same school, working together, but with the school meeting the needs of each INDIVIDUAL student so there are no students who don't reach their full potential, whatever that may be. 

♥"Sure, girls from New York they're tough, and girls from Georgia they're sweet, but those born and bred Kentucky girls, they are the ones you have to look out for. We have sugar and fire in our blood. We can ride a horse, be a debutant, throw a left hook, and tell you the entire UK line-up ALL while making sweet tea. And if we have an opinion, you get to know it. We're both the pride and the downfall of the Bluegrass." ♥

ballyhooligan
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM

So where would you put a musical savant who wants to be a mechanic?

I think all kids should attend the same schools, with exceptions*.  There is enough in-fighting and superiority going on in our schools.  Kids should be taught to work together and support each other.

*certain situations should require a special school.  For instance, my daughter is Deaf and needs a Deaf education that can not be provided in a mainstreamed environment.

PTBAAMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM

good point

FL2AK
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
We chose for our son to go to a charter high school that requires a student have no discipline issues and a 3.0 gpa. This of course does weed out some kids from going there. The academics are rigorous because they take college courses along with high school. I want my children to be where they will excel no matter if they are gifted, average or require an IEP. I would not want them thrown into a school where the academics were not individualized as needed in order for my children to be successful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PTBAAMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM

BUMP!

Idiosyncratic
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM

without a doubt.

once you hit 3rd grade studies should be tailored to the child's natural talents (while of course learning all the rest of the basics)

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I think our schools should be like in Japan. You test into your high school and that way you enter the school best for your abilities and get help in what you need.

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I think the majority of children should go to the same schools, but children who require excessive amounts of support for being delayed or having mental problems that would be better accommodated somewhere else, or children who are extremely gifted and far above their peers academically, may be better off somewhere that better suites them. Same goes for children with behavior problems that may be a danger to others. In most cases though, children should be treated equally.

TTC a GIRL? Want a GIRL in the future?
Join this group!!! We share tips and
methods for conceiving that baby girl!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/22322

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)