Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Internet Bullying....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

Internet bullying is most often done by children. But many adults also resort to online bullying. When adults bully online, it's considered "cyberharassment". 

CYBER BULLYING INFORMATION

DEFINITION

"Cyber bullying is the use of modern communication technologies to embarrass, humiliate, threaten, or intimidate an individual in the attempt to gain power and control over them." (Glenn R. Stutzky)

Bullying is all about power, the imbalance and abuse of power.

Bullying is not a personality conflict it’s abuse.

This is sad and happens way too often....does this sound familiar to anyone? 

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
yayay15
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

BUMP!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

It's a very familiar scene all over the internet. People hide behind the anonymity of their computer screen and say all sorts of things they wouldn't dare to say to people if they were face to face. I think that's why moderation is important, so people have someone to report the abuse to so it can be addressed and hopefully the bullies will be taken care of quickly.

MamaCarterof5
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM

It's rampant on Cafemom.

It's fine to agree to disagree. It's fine to debate. It's wrong to belittle a person to the point of degradation and yeah, that happens all the time on here. 

When I see a woman debating to the point of putting someone else down, in my opinion, the argument is over and the person doing the belittling has lost all validation in their argument because they can't behave and be civil. 

A_Renee
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I agree.  I never seen so much hate until I started looking at comments on the Internet and even on CM.  People do hide behind their computer screens and say all kinds of mean and spiteful stuff.

Quoting bamababe1975:

It's a very familiar scene all over the internet. People hide behind the anonymity of their computer screen and say all sorts of things they wouldn't dare to say to people if they were face to face. I think that's why moderation is important, so people have someone to report the abuse to so it can be addressed and hopefully the bullies will be taken care of quickly.

4kidz916
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Yes, I've seen it with teens on Myspace and Facebook and even with adults here on CM.  I guess it just makes some people feel better about themselves to be mean to others.

DawnPratt23
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

It's rampant on Cafemom.

It's fine to agree to disagree. It's fine to debate. It's wrong to belittle a person to the point of degradation and yeah, that happens all the time on here. 

When I see a woman debating to the point of putting someone else down, in my opinion, the argument is over and the person doing the belittling has lost all validation in their argument because they can't behave and be civil. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danielle0911
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I would say most people on here are just speaking their mind. It's hard to bully an adult! Kids are very mean now days. It would be nice if their parents would monitor them more!

yayay15
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I agree!!  I have been watching the people on this website...and amazingly there is a certain group of people that flock to posts.  IT doesn't matter what it is, if they can just call the person stupid then it just goes on from there.  I think it's sad and I definitely agree with the person who said "it makes them feel better about themselves"  that is exactly it!!  Exactly what I have been saying....it gets out their frustrations and it's sad!!!  I feel better, when I am NICE to someone...I can't imagine how being so hateful would make me feel!

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Quoting MamaCarterof5:

It's rampant on Cafemom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)