Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Computer advice. Hope someone can help.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hey all, I know this is probably not something expected to be asked on cafemom, but I really need some help. A couple days ago my son managed to unplug the modem. Ever since then both my hubby's desktop and my laptop will not play videos on hulu, netflix, or youtube. One of my hubby's cousins said I need to reinstall my flash drive/player/ whatever... I'm not all that computer savvy when it comes to the hard drive and programming type things. I find that suggetion a bit odd though since this is one both computers. I wouldn't think unplugging a modem would mess up something on both computers. I have no clue though. So are there any mommas on here who know what I should do, and possibly even how to do it?  My kids miss watching Diego, Dora, Backyardigans, and a few other kiddy shows and movies on my hubby's comp.  Thanks in advance for any help!

baby development

baby development

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliesmommy07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:43 PM

i am going to give you a bump cause my hubby aint home yet...he would probably know what to do tho since he builds them for a hobby..good luck

MommyOf2kids67
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

my boyfriend.said u  need to reset the modem competely and that should work...and then do a complete rebot :) He has a degree in computer science i hope this helps :P

ty to Kattxbrat @ WoW Moms for the awesome siggy :D

MomOfAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

BUMP!

MomOfAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM

ok, how would I reset the modem and by reboot you just mean restarting both computers right?

Quoting MommyOf2kids67:

my fiance said u  need to reset the modem competely and that should work...and then do a complete rebot :) He has a degree in computer science i hope this helps :P

baby development

baby development

MommyOf2kids67
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM

he said there is a reset button on the back take a ball point pin and hold it down for 30 seconds and that should do the trick :)

Quoting MomOfAiden:

ok, how would I reset the modem and by reboot you just mean restarting both computers right?

Quoting MommyOf2kids67:

my fiance said u  need to reset the modem competely and that should work...and then do a complete rebot :) He has a degree in computer science i hope this helps :P

Aichia
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM
there should be a little recessed button on the back of the modem you'll need to push & reboot is the same as restart on the pc's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

ok, gonna give it a try. Be back in a few min with an update!

Quoting MommyOf2kids67:

he said there is a reset button on the back take a ball point pin and hold it down for 30 seconds and that should do the trick :)

Quoting MomOfAiden:

Quoting MommyOf2kids67:

baby development

baby development

MomOfAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM

so that didn't work.  When trying to watch a movie on Netflix the movie plays for like three minutes then pops up with "your internet connection has slowed. We are adjusting playback to avoid further interruption." But that is where it sits and doesn't fix itself.  When I try to watch something on Hulu it plays for a little then just stops. It will stay stopped for some time then either resume play or restart.  I think on Hulu it is something to do with the buffering.

Any more ideas from anyone?

MommyOf2kids67
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM

it could jsut be your internect connection and NOT the modem yourself....i know when in am having issues with a slow connection it does the same thing too me too....try adjusting your internet cards and see if that works or try adjusting where ur modem is.

Quoting MomOfAiden: m

so that didn't work.  When trying to watch a movie on Netflix the movie plays for like three minutes then pops up with "your internet connection has slowed. We are adjusting playback to avoid further interruption." But that is where it sits and doesn't fix itself.  When I try to watch something on Hulu it plays for a little then just stops. It will stay stopped for some time then either resume play or restart.  I think on Hulu it is something to do with the buffering.

MomOfAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM

That's the weird thing though.  We've had our interent set up on these computers since April and the modem has been in the same place.  It started having this problem on Friday when my son managed to unplug the power cord from the back of the modem, so I'm not sure if moving things around would help any.  Could it have something to do with my flash player?

Quoting MommyOf2kids67:

it could jsut be your internect connection and NOT the modem yourself....i know when in am having issues with a slow connection it does the same thing too me too....try adjusting your internet cards and see if that works or try adjusting where ur modem is.

Quoting MomOfAiden: m

baby development

baby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)