Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest question for darker complected mammas

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM
  • 3 Replies

Does it offend you when you see a light skinned child playing with a dark skinned doll?

We were in Target last week, and my 2 year old daughter who usually doesn't ask for ANYTHING asked for a baby doll. The one she picked out happens to have darker skin. I didn't see anything wrong with it. I was shopping with my mother, and showed her the doll DD picked out. They had light skinned dolls with blue or brown eyes, and a dark skinned doll with brown eyes. My mom gave me this look when I told her which one DD picked out. I honestly don't know what the big deal is. Please someone fill me in.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
klynn80
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I'm fair skinned, as is my whole family except my little brother who was born with a tan (little shit lol).  Anyway, my blond haired, blue eyed, fair skinned little sister's favorite doll as a child was Addy from the American Girl series, who was the little AA girl in the series.  No one but my grandmother seemed to mind, and if they had, screw it, it's a doll! 

Is your mom prejudiced?  I know that why my grandmother had an issue with Kat playing with the AA doll.

julz0307
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:26 PM

does it really matter what color it is. if it was green would she still have cared?

jeanellensmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I really don't think she's prejudiced. I never got that feeling growing up.  I know her mother is the daughter of an Italian/Irish and a Cherokee/Black. So, I have no clue.

Quoting klynn80:

I'm fair skinned, as is my whole family except my little brother who was born with a tan (little shit lol).  Anyway, my blond haired, blue eyed, fair skinned little sister's favorite doll as a child was Addy from the American Girl series, who was the little AA girl in the series.  No one but my grandmother seemed to mind, and if they had, screw it, it's a doll! 

Is your mom prejudiced?  I know that why my grandmother had an issue with Kat playing with the AA doll.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)