Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting desperate for help with tantrums...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. She has been having these horrible, and I mean horrible tantrums for about the last month. Randomly she will start screaming and crying and hitting. Today we went to a hobby store and as we were getting ready to leave she started throwing a terrible fit. I put her in the car and was telling her that she needed to calm down and stop hitting. As we were getting ready to pull out of our parking spot a man comes and blocks our car in and asks if everything is alright, and says he was getting ready to call the police because of her screaming. He honestly thought I was hurting my child or trying to kidnap her.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm at the end of my rope. All I do is calmly try to talk to her, I put her on time outs, I put her in her room and let her scream, and its a blood curdling scream. I just cry all  the time now. I don't know how she got like this, or how to fix it. I'm due in 6 weeks and I need her to stop. Not only is it hard emotionally for me to deal with her fits, physically its getting very hard to pick her up and move her to her room. What can I do? I'm so lost, I'm up for any advice. I'm sick of my 2 year old being such a brat. I feel like the worst mom ever for not knowing what to do. =( Please help.

pregnancy

Proud Marine wife. Proud Mama to Ashlyn Marie(2-7-08) and another little girl on the way. Marilyn Rose is expected on 9-4-10

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM

This may sound completely weird but my DD did that one time at the store and I started acting like she was. Crying and screaming and all and she stopped and looked at me liek WTF and never did it again. GL mama. It is a hard thing to deal with.

luvmyangel22
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM
uh will most likely fet worse whn baby comes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

i did that too, aiden was so shocked he stopped and than started to laugh. tantrums are hard to come by here anymore but when when they he does throw them i put him in his bed and tell him when hes done he can come apologize to me.

Quoting amayabrianna:

This may sound completely weird but my DD did that one time at the store and I started acting like she was. Crying and screaming and all and she stopped and looked at me liek WTF and never did it again. GL mama. It is a hard thing to deal with.

sexy......even in a dress

MamaSince08
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Thanks ladies. I may just have to try throwing a fit right back.  I'm so desperate I'm willing to look stupid. lol

nas2326
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM
My daughter does the same thing and nothing works. I really have no clue what to do anymore . I hope you and I can get some advise that works. Save my sanity please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:04 PM

before i tried the fake tantrum thing i would ignore it completly i wouldnt even look his way and let him scream and scream. now i just put him in his bed and leave the door open. theres no more screaming, just fake tears and mean looks

Quoting nas2326:

My daughter does the same thing and nothing works. I really have no clue what to do anymore . I hope you and I can get some advise that works. Save my sanity please.

sexy......even in a dress

superm0m87
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM

my daughter went thru that phase, and i just flat out ignored her. She was doing it for attention so when she realized she asnt getting attention anymore she stopped. But it sounds to me like you have already tried that and it didnt work. i think they other moms are right, try throwing a fit right back at her! if that doesnt work, well i dont know. good luck, i am so sorry! She might feel a change coming on, with the new baby and all, and may be acting like that to get your attention. Maybe you could try spending as much play time with her as possible, and include her in the prep for the new baby? Anything is worth trying once.

Anyanka
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Bust her butt the next time she throws a tantrum. I have 2 toddlers and neither of them have thrown a fit in public before. They've started to and all we have to do is look at them and they immediately stop and then smile and say oops.

MamaSince08
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

She used to stop. That's what is getting to me. We just moved in June from Hawaii to Arizona, so I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that its been hard on her with all the changes going on. I've been trying to give her extra attention and lovings and she doesn't want it. Its so strange. She wants to play on her own, and anytime I try to cuddle or play with her toys with her, she gets sooooooo mad. I'm hoping she's just going through a phase. I really think she may already be getting a little jealous. And I feel bad, because there isn't much I can do to make her feel better. Thank you for the advice though. =) I really appreciate it.

Quoting superm0m87:

my daughter went thru that phase, and i just flat out ignored her. She was doing it for attention so when she realized she asnt getting attention anymore she stopped. But it sounds to me like you have already tried that and it didnt work. i think they other moms are right, try throwing a fit right back at her! if that doesnt work, well i dont know. good luck, i am so sorry! She might feel a change coming on, with the new baby and all, and may be acting like that to get your attention. Maybe you could try spending as much play time with her as possible, and include her in the prep for the new baby? Anything is worth trying once.

pregnancy

Proud Marine wife. Proud Mama to Ashlyn Marie(2-7-08) and another little girl on the way. Marilyn Rose is expected on 9-4-10

stefvan
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I spanked mine for that and they only had a couple of tantrums each because they knew I wouldn't put up with that behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)