Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk allergy or sensitive to milk only, not cheese or yogurt. Is that possible? -piog

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hi,

so I gave my youngest (19 months) some milk with carnation instant breakfast (vanilla) on Thursday & Friday.  I noticed on Friday his last poop was kind of watery, seeped into diaper, but it wasn't unusual.  Last night I noticed his butt is raw from a rash & has raised bumps.  He has somewhat sensitive skin & his dad used cheap wipes on him Friday night to clean him.  Usually though his butt will just get really red but not a rash.   

He's not a big drinker & that includes milk but never seemed to have a problem with it with the little sips he drinks.  Plus he eats lowfat yogurt & a little bit of cheese with no problems.  I'm trying to figure out if it's the milk or the wipes but didn't think having an allergy to milk but not other dairy was possible. 

Thanks, ladies, so much!  Learn something new here on Cafemom everyday.  I'm going to wait until his butt clears up & try it again.  If it happens then I'll know it's the milk.  And will talk to his Ped along with buying him something different.  If not then it's those cheap wipes. (I only buy Pampers Sensitive.)

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PradaBaby
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Yes it is possible. Cheese has very little lactose in it so some people are able to eat cheese but can not drink milk

AmeyX2KidZ

Absolutely can be the milk. My daughter is the same way (3) she can not drink milk or milk products or she will get horrible watery stools, blistered butt and sometimes hivey swollen face but she can eat cheese and yogurt like no one's business.

mamivon2

I think so. My dh cant drink milk without getting an upset stomach however he eats cheese all the time

MamaSince08
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

My daughter is the same way. She's 2 1/2 and has been since she was about 1. We switched her to lactose free milk and she is perfectly fine now. =) Good luck mama.

gypsymama532
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Quoting PradaBaby:

Yes it is possible. Cheese has very little lactose in it so some people are able to eat cheese but can not drink milk

amayabrianna
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:46 PM

My youngest DD can have VERY small amounts of milk with no problem. She can eat cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc with no problem. BUT if she drinks a cup of milk she has diarrhea for days. We just use the lactose free wmilk and don't have a problem with her anymore.

Sirenabella
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I have lactose issues. Milk is a huge problem and makes me really ill. Cheese, yogurt, etc aren't all that bad because they don't have as much lactose and we don't tend to eat as much at once.

psychessun
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM

yup, totally possible.

PTBAAMom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM

maybe the Carnation Instant

jbbrom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM

IDK but my DS has a true milk allergy and he cannot have anything with even the slightest bit of milk in it!! this includes crackers or bread made with milk or any type of milk product. Maybe it depends on if it is a milk protein allergy, or lactose intolerence? although I think an intolerence wouldnt cause hives or a rash......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)