Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help from doulas, midwives and natural birthing mamas!!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am attending my friends birth soon and it's her first time going natural (no pain meds).  What can I bring to the hospital to help her with contraction management and just to keep her comfortable?  I thought of peppermints (for nausea since she hates ginger), ice and heat packs, tennis balls (for massage), change for vending machines.  What else?  I am thinking of getting a birthing ball/exercise ball.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymama0286
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Music? And I know they say you can't eat or drink during labor but I had a bottle of propel to drink I didn't care if the nurses liked it or not. I wasn't going to dehydrate pushing my child out. I did that with my oldest and it damn near killed me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Elijahsmommy508
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I thought about that but I don't have much unless she wants Metallica. lol

crazymama0286
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Try going to the library and just get a classical cd. I had native american flute music which was nice but not alot of people like that kinda stuff.

mama_2_jasper

Birth BAll! I LOVED mine. I went natural too. I dunno, I had all that stuff, ice/heat packs. Cool towel for my forehead. I really just wanted to be left alone and didn't want to be touched. Music can help, but make sure you have something she likes, and bring a variety, yo never know what mood she will be in!

Elijahsmommy508

And yes, the no food or drink thing is just plain stupid.

hotmomofmakayla
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

What about those flamesless candles in a soothing scents

Elijahsmommy508
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Where do you find them (flameless candles)?

MamaCarterof5
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Essential oils like lavender are fantastic. Also if you are going to be the one doing the counterpressure on her back, try taking a couple of tennis balls that are CUT IN HALF. this sounds weird, I know, but you can put your elbow into the curve of the ball and use the tennis ball itself as a cushion on her lower back so you aren't just plunging your elbow straight into her back (which just hurts like hell.)

Go to Walmart. Get pillow cases. They are like $3 each for cheapos. Put them in a cooler so they are freeeezing cold. That awy when she is hot and sweaty and laying on the pillow, you can swap out pillow cases from your little cooler and the feeling is just heavenly. Sounds weird I know- but I swear it's definitely one of those things that I'm like, "why did no one tell me this before?!" (BTW... I still do that even now at 31 weeks 5 days pregnant at night when I cannot get comfortable. lol)

Photobucket

Elijahsmommy508
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Bump!

Elijahsmommy508
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Bump!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)