Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bipolar and the like are just making it up for attention ETA

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
  • 467 Replies

Now that I have your attention....

I've seen in several posts on here that show how ignorant and idiotic some woman are.

I've seen it stated several times that people who commit suicide are "weak" or "lacking faith" or just "checking out".  That mental illness isn't real and it's just people or teenagers doing it for attention.

How can you honestly believe that shit?  Did you not pay attention all through school or did your mommy and daddy and pastor teach you think shit?

Do you not realize that mental illness is just as real and is the same thing as a heart attack, stroke, broken leg, diabetes, asthma, cancer, being blind, being deaf, being burned, shot, stabbed, etc.

Mental illness is very real, it controls peoples lives, how they live, and it can be down right terrifying. 

Praying will not make the voices stop, praying will not make the cycles of bipolar stop, praying will not make depression stop.

You can't "snap out of it" when you have depression or bipolar or any other mental illness.  You can't "shake it off" or "just stop dwelling and it will go away".  You can't "shake off" a heart attack and more than you can "shake off" depression.

A mother suffering from PPD or PPP is not "weak" or "trying to get attention" or "doesn't love their child".  They are suffering from a true illness which can have very scary results.  The mothers who kill or maim their children because they have PPP are not "monsters who don't deserve to live", they are mothers like all of you who have an illness that needs to be treated.  They don't need to be sent to jail to "rot like the trash they are", they need to be treated so they can get better and so it doesn't happen again.  You are not better than a mother suffering from PPD or PPP.  After reading several comments from several different mothers on here I would guess that Andrea Yates deserved her children more than some of you.  She was just sick with an illness she did not ask for and no one would help her get better.

When you live day in and day out wondering if that whisper you heard was real or if that shadow was following  you or if you are going crazy because you stayed up for a week straight because your mania wouldn't let you sleep, then you can judge.

Medications aren't a cure all.  Anti-depressents don't work on every one and every illness.  In some it can make it 10 times worse then it was before. 

Mental illnesses know no bounds.  The affect people of every race, age, gender, country, etc.  Just because your child is 10 does not mean they can not be depressed or bipolar.  There is not a magic age where people will then develop a mental illness.  It can strike when you are 5 years old or 90 years old.  It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, smart or stupid, tall or short, fat or skinny, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter if you are strong or weak.  Or if you eat healthy or junk food.  You can not wish away an illness.  It doesn't matter what you do, you can still develop a mental illness, no matter how much you think you won't.

I wish people would educate themselves on mental illness.  It's amazing how many judgemental ignorant "people" there are they damn people for having an illness they can't prevent and didn't ask for.

I hope with all of my heart that some how your children will turn out decent people who don't judge or hold idiotic beliefs, no matter how much you try to drill it in them.

ETA:::

I can't believe I forgot this one.

If your child has bipolar or depression or any mental illness it is not because they are "lazy" or "just need a good ass beating".  You can not whip or beat or spank a mental illness out of any one, especially a child.  It will make it worse and never make it better.

Same with ADHD, if a child is affected then "beating their ass" will not make it go away. 

I have seen it over and over in my now adult friends who have a mental illness.  Their parents possibly had good intentions but it ended up almost ruining most of my friends.  Some were beat every single day their whole life because their mom or dad thought it would make the voices go away or make them stop being depressed and get their "lazy ass" off the couch.

It is also not the parents fault if their child has a mental illness.  It's not because they are a bad parent or a lazy parent or any other reason.  The parent didn't choose for their child to get a mental illness any more than the child choose the mental illness.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aka_speezolove
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I agree. BRAVO OP!

clapping

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Mental illness has nothing to do with suicide.

kiernansmom08

Agree with everything!!! clapping

Snoop420
I have OCD & I'm not making it up. Thanks for this post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aka_speezolove
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Quoting SAMNMAYASMOM:

Really? Thats news to me.

kiernansmom08

um....please tell me you aren't serious

Quoting SAMNMAYASMOM:

perfectkitten

LOL! I have to say I agree.

D.Tetz
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM

So I didn't read everything but I think in SOME situations it is an attention thing but it is also a mental illness... I think either way it should be taken seriously and the person needs help. If it's an attention thing... they just need different help compared to someone who is mentally ill. Depression is a very real thing.

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Maybe I should re-phrase that: Not all people who commit suicide are mentally ill.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM

clappingThank you for this post. I have a mental illness

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)