Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those of you who suffer from depression...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM
  • 31 Replies

What type of depression do you have ? and What types of medications have you found to work best for you ?

I ask because I have severe clinical depression and my Dr hasnt changed the medication I am on just keeps upping my dose. I originally started with a very low dose of prozac and am now on 40 mg of prozac a day. The dr wants to up me to 60mg a day, but i honestly dont want to. Obviously Prozac isnt working for me and I know its not. Yes I have done counseling ( 2 years worth) while on prozac. I also cant sleep at night.... I get MAYBE 2-3 hours a night i wake up constantly and cant fall asleep....so my dr has me alernating between 100 mg of Trazadone and 10 mg of Ambien.

Im looking for something to HELP me for once something I can take in to the Dr and say LOOK ... LET ME TRY SOMETHING ELSE !

I wanted to add I have already tried Welbutrin but I broke out in hives on it.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kays_Mama06
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM

PTSD and severe depression.

I found that a regular therapy regimen helped me through the hard times.. Im not huge on rx meds but Im currently trying to find natural remedies.. Starting with St. Johns wart.

angieluvsolivia

I was treated for severe depression for years.  Turns out I was misdiagnosed and am really bipolar.  The treatment for depressions actually makes bipolar worse!  Now, I take 1 pill and a sleeping pill and that's it.  Consider getting a second opinion.

olgabillman07

It's been a while since I have seen a physiatrist because I do not believe in medicine. I took it growing up, but decided to fight my depression and anxiety the natural way. It's gotten extremely worse the last year because of some things going on in my life and I am really thinking about going to see one, but I will wait until after I have the baby. I'm hoping not being pregnant will make it manageable again.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I have... but they ( military) wont let me go to another Dr because my Dr isnt full.

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I was treated for severe depression for years.  Turns out I was misdiagnosed and am really bipolar.  The treatment for depressions actually makes bipolar worse!  Now, I take 1 pill and a sleeping pill and that's it.  Consider getting a second opinion.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I don't know about the depression, but have you tried melatonin for the sleep issues?  It is all natural.

deenakate
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Exercise.. is the only medication that has helped... well exercise and meditation....

dk

D.Tetz
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Trazadone... yuck I hated it!!! But that's just me... zanax??? If I were you I would tell your doctor you just don't think it's working and you want him to list ALL of the other options... explain them to you... how they work, what they are and so on and you tell him what you would like to try. I tried several before my doctor realized it was anxiety not depression... I told them I wasn't "sad" for say I just was always worried and stressed and it made me not want to do things because if I got upset I just wanted to get away from where ever I was immedietly... like when I go food shopping... if there is to many people in my way and my kid is not listening... I just feel like I have to leave to breathe... so I became a home body.

perfectkitten
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I have had several diagnosis over the years. Depression, severe depression, Borderline Personality disorder, Bi-polar. A few more I'm sure, but I forgot. Medications I have been on that I remember.

Zoloft, Ambien, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Valium, Effexor CR, Ativan, Prozac, Lithium. I am sure there's more I just can't think right now. This has been over a 17 year period. Now I am on Trazadone and Celexa.

olgabillman07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Totally agee. Once I started exercising and eating healthy my depression and anxiety really got under control. It didn't go away, but it got much better.

Quoting deenakate:

Exercise.. is the only medication that has helped... well exercise and meditation....

dk

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM
PTSD and sevre clinical depression. I'm on 40mg of celexa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)