Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't like feeling like I am being "checked up on"

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM
  • 37 Replies

I am renting a house....I have been here 3 years and have never been late on a payment, ever. We can't currently buy because our credit sucks (my DH was run over when I was 8 months preggo and got screwed by workers comp). Anyway, my landlord wants to come inspect the house. I know she has every right to do so, but it bothers me. I am not big on having people over, I am kind of a hermit. My house is clean and I know I don't have anything to worry about but it bothers me. I am actually considering moving because it has been bothering me so much. Stupid, I know, but I can't help it. I don't like to feel like someone is checking up on me. Uggghhhh go ahead and bash away ladies, I know how irrational this is.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funmommy123
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM

did she say why she needed to inspect the house? i've lived at myplace for 5yrs and the landord has never came to inspect it.

klynn80
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Our landlord/realty company does yearly checks.  Doesn't bother me, it's not my house, it's theirs, they should have the right to know it's being taken care of and not being turned to shit.  Actually the first one we had done I asked the inspector guy about it.  He said they just started doing it a few years earlier (our house is rented from a realty company) because when one of their tenants vacated the house was destroyed and they were sued by the owners because they didn't ensure the property was being taken care of. 

It took all of 15 minutes, just checking walls, floors, asking which appliances were ours (we had to buy a fridge and washer/dryer when we moved in) so that it was documented.  He also asked if everything was working - plumbing, electric, etc. 

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I feel the same way honey. I actually just leave when they want to do an inspection or have an appraiser over.

jkleinman
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM
She may be coming in to make sure that every thing is still up to code and make sure pipes, wiringz and/or heating doesn't need work. She has the right and there is nothing you can do about it. It will be like this any where you rent. At least you get warning. I've had my landlord just walk in without a word before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zawifey
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

would you be able to have a friend or someone close come over to be with you when they inspect? i always hated whenever any came over and it was just me and the little ones. i would much rather have hubby or a friend there with me.

DawnPratt23
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM
Reason number 1 that I would never live in an apartment. I out grew the need for parents years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.rachel
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I don't think it's irrational. I'd feel the same way. Then again that might be why I'd never call it irrational haha.

Did you ask him why he was inspecting it?

SadiasMomma
by Janet B. Benson on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM
Its her house... not yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1_hawt_mami
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:43 PM

i wouldnt like it either! do you have a nosey landlord?

TheatreMom97
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I feel the exact same way as you do!!  I hated that part of renting!  Just knowing that they have keys and can enter whenever they want freaks me out.  I was so relieved when we finally got our own house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)