Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another post got me thinking....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do you punish your kids if they won't eat their dinner? Or do you just let them sit there, not eat and then go on as usual until bed?  Here I give my kids portions in sizes I know they can eat. Then if they finish they can have dessert. If they don't finish they can't.  My 6 yr old will try bites of anything on her plate if we tell her to ( a no thank you helping).  Our 2 year old will simply not eat it if she doesn't want to.  There is no getting her to try it if she has made up her mind.  My husband will say "if you don't try a bite you are going to bed" And if by the time he counts to 3 she hasn't taken a bite she has to go to bed.  I think this is too harsh, I don't think she should be sent to bed for it. I think if she doesn't eat her dinner and at bedtime she is hungry she will learn naturally that she needs to eat her dinner so she won't be hungry later.  Dh thinks I am to soft.  I think she is too young to be sent to bed because she didn't eat.  What do you think?

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

eh my four year old refuses to eat off and on, if she dont eat oh well but she doesnt get anything to eat until the next meal time or snack time, she has to wait.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I dont send them to bed early if they dont eat their dinner. Only when my  middle son keeps doing stuff that i tell him not to do or refuses to help pick up the toys after telling him three or four times then he will go to bed early.

FooLynRoo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

My son didn't eat , couldn't eat a full meal probably until he was 8. He would eat the amount of food in a single meal over probably two sittings

For example breakfast

Cheese

Toast

Fruit

He might have some fruit and cheese then about an hour later a piece of toast and milk

lunch he would have half a sandwich, then maybe an hour later some carrots and dip and then some apple sauce

Dinner if we were having meatloaf mashed potatoes and broccolie he might eat broccolie and potatoes then about an hour later the meat loaf.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I have a 2 year old. If she doesn't eat, it means she isn't hungry. She is not picky at all, so if she doesn't feel like eating, she gets up, and starts her bed time routine.
We do not do deserts at all and do not use food as "rewards" for good behavior. She eats 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.

amayabrianna
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM

If mine do not eat they donot get dessert. There are times that my youngest one (2 1/2) will say she is not done but will sit there until bed time. When it is bed time I tell her she has to eat or go to bed. We set a timer about 10 minutes before bed time to let her know. But if it is like 5 then no I donot sendher tobed.But she doesn't get dessert or juice. Only water until bed.

Kodysmommy928
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I don't believe in forcing kids to eat certain things.  Kids will try things when they are ready.

-xoxo-
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Honestly, I could care less what happens. I put the food down, everyone makes the choice to eat or starve, and that's it. The people that eat, clear their plates when they're done and the non-eaters leave their plates at the table. Everyone is then able to do whatever it is they want to do the rest of that night, and if the hungry people want dinner later, I warm it up. Nothing else is made and nothing else is served that night. 

Pnukey
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:58 PM

No, we don't. I've always been a picky eater, and fell asleep at the table more than once for refusing to eat something gross my parents put before me. My husband was a card-carrying member of The Clean Plate Club and now has weight issues. We don't punish our kids for not eating dinner, but they aren't allowed to ask for a snack later, either. 

ErikaM27
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Sometimes my ds is being silly or playing at the table I send him to the couch or his room. I'm not going to cook for him later. If he is hungry later on I'll reheat what he left on the table. If he doesn't want to eat it he doesn't have to. I don't send him to bed if he doesn't want to eat though.

pwebster12
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I think it should depend on age, if they are 3 or younger I think they are too young to punish for not finishing their food. My daughter is 3 and we have a hard time getting her to eat a lot but she is not a picky eater either, she will at least try everything we give her which I think is more important. I feel like at this age she just wants to eat when she feels hungry and is too young to be forced to eat more then she wants. However when she gets older I do plan on making her sit at the table until I feel like she has eaten enough and if she absolutely refuses then she won't get any more food until the next day whether she is hungry again or not and eventually she will learn to eat what is on her plate. I think it's unfair to expect this at the age of 2 though, I think that's a little young...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)