Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this theft and/or vandalism?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
  • 20 Replies
Okay my parents own a house, fully paid off. They have been letting my brother and his wife and their kids live there for free for the last 2 years. A year ago when they got their tax refund they they decided to get new cabinets, counter tops, and sink. They used sil's grandparents lowes card and paid them cash. Now they are getting divorced. Papers just served last week, court date in August. Well sil, after being offered the house to live in, declined. She is living with her brother and sil. Anyways they came to get her stuff out of the house today and took everything in the kitchen. Everything! Sink, oven, cabinets, all of it. Ripped cabinets out of the wall, pulled tile up from the floor. Crazy! Well my dad is pissed because it is his house that had perfectly good stuff in it and now it is stripped bare with holes in the walls. He wants to file charges for theft, vandalism, or both. I feel like he may be getting nowhere with that since her grandparents have the receipt for the stuff. But can she destroy the space? Or leave it up to her own discession to pick and chose assets?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nmh123
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Wow, I have no idea!!

View Image
klynn80
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM

They need to speak with an attorney asap. 

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM

not sure. Definitly rude tho.

bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I think that in landlord/tenant law they have to leave the appliances in there, whether it be the original appliances or new ones. Your dad has to be made whole. That being said, he might be able to file vandalism charges on the damage done. Either way he should look into suing.

tinkerxbell
by danger will robinson on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I would assume if she can't be charged for theft, she could still be charged with vandalism. She destroyed his house and it'll cost a lot to get it fixed.

exceptalilfish
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM
They are trying to get one but having a hard time affording one. Her grandparents bought her a 10 thousand dollar lawyer.

Quoting klynn80:

They need to speak with an attorney asap. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM

After they decided to remodel your parent's house, that became a part of the home. If they didn't keep the old stuff to replace it with, then they can't just take that newer stuff out of the home. Your parents should get an attorney ASAP because that is just wrong!

Click above to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Yes, he can get her for theft and vandalism.  She moved into a house with a kitchen and when she moves out she needs to leave the house with an intact kitchen.  It doesn't matter if she or her grandparents paid for the cabinets. Once nails were driven into the walls, the cabinets became part of the structure.

ETA: He can also sue her for rent money he loses while the house is being repaired.  I suggest he get photos and video of the house immediately.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I would definitely be talking to a lawyer

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM
I would think she would have to replace and fix the damage. But it will involve court. Are there pictures from before they did the new cabinets?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)