Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms with aspergers...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

What exactly is it? I understand that it is related to autism somehow, but that's about it. I know I can further read online but I was just wanting to know more about it from someone who has it-not just a researched article or site on the internet(but if you know a good one you can point me to that would be great). Thanks :)

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tickled_pink09
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM

BUMP!

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM

I believe Aspergers is on the autism spectrum . . . sort of high-functioning autism. 

SadiasMomma
by Janet B. Benson on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:27 AM
I'm so interested in this too!! I've been watching reruns of greys anatomy and there's a doctor with aspergers and she's superrrr smart but not social. So bump!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tickled_pink09
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Quoting SadiasMomma:

I'm so interested in this too!! I've been watching reruns of greys anatomy and there's a doctor with aspergers and she's superrrr smart but not social. So bump!!

Thank you :)

tickled_pink09
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:28 AM

BUMP!

mamaequals4
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:31 AM

well my daughter has mild autism and when she was diagnosed i began to search the web to learn a lil more about it. i read about aspengers and its a higher functioning form of autism. a lot of them are highly intelligent. some are highly functional in certain areas. i read that albert einstein was supposively autistic.

tickled_pink09
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Quoting mamaequals4:

well my daughter has mild autism and when she was diagnosed i began to search the web to learn a lil more about it. i read about aspengers and its a higher functioning form of autism. a lot of them are highly intelligent. some are highly functional in certain areas. i read that albert einstein was supposively autistic.

Thank you :)  I don't have much experience with autism. I've been around autistic adults before(lower functioning). I don't know much about autism.I'm happy to know there are support groups out there. What people need to know-I think- is each person as an individual not just as someone with autism or aspbergers(although at the same time recognizing that this is a part of who they are).

wow-Einstein, that would be interesting to look into.

Kudos to for really putting yourself into your daughters life and taking the time to understand her :)

mitch576
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 6:35 AM

asperger's, pdd, nos and autism...

are all "autism". autism is a pervasive developmental disorder... so pdd,nos which stands for "pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified"   is generalised autism. {usually higher functioning but it can vary depending on the practitioner doing the testing.

now try to bear with me.. it's might get confusing.

clinically and developmentally speaking.. these are the differences.

speech.

a child with "autism:"   that actual diagnosis  is typically nonverbal. those are the kids that get the "autism" diagnosis.

asperger's is when the child develops speech on time {even early in some cases} but still has clear markers of autism.

pdd,nos is when a child has a MARKED DELAY in speech.. .those are the kids who don't talk until they are 3-4-5 years old.  and also.. clear markers for autism.

what is "autism"

well.. it's not a word that describes one condition, but rather teh culmination of conditions with varying degrees of severity. many of these conditions exist alone... without autism, but when you mix them up.. you get autism.

things like, but not limited too...

sensory dysfunction, receptive expressive language skills {apraxia} bi-lateral coordination disorders like "developmental coordination disorder"  hypotonia {low muscle tone} visual receptive skills, pragmatics disorders.

the key feature present with all autistics, the one feature that exists across the boards, regardless of functionality......

the "root" of all autism is "theory of mind" which is the ability {or for autistics the lack there of}  to perceive the world from an other's point of view. they are rigid and literal and the result is.. it makes it difficult for them to relate to others.  sure they understand you have feelings... but they don't "get it"

to them.. it's their perception of what has happened that is correct.

like...   let's say an autistic kid is bumped into in the hall way.

you turn and say sorry.. he asks why you PUSHED him.

you are like "huh? i didn't push you"   lol but it's their perception.

another thing tied into the theory of mind is their inabilityto understand pragmatics.... which is body language and social speech....  facial expressions.  i still struggle with this to this day even at 34.  people tell each other things with their bodies, faces and most specifically.. their eyes.  autistics don't get it... because we are literal, the result is we are poor liars. pragmatics require a certain level of deception at times that autistics don't get. sarcasm... is deceptive so that's why.. they don't get it. they lack that social filter that allows them to interprit and understand those things that normal people can do easily..

i could literally fill this post with info....  lol  so to spare the other women of that...  do you have any specific questions?

DO NOT be afraid to ask the hard questions.. i will not get offended or upset. you can't learn unless you ask.. and i am more than happy to answer any question you have  "}

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

tickled_pink09
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Quoting mitch576:

asperger's, pdd, nos and autism...

are all "autism". autism is a pervasive developmental disorder... so pdd,nos which stands for "pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified"   is generalised autism. {usually higher functioning but it can vary depending on the practitioner doing the testing.

now try to bear with me.. it's might get confusing.

clinically and developmentally speaking.. these are the differences.

speech.

a child with "autism:"   that actual diagnosis  is typically nonverbal. those are the kids that get the "autism" diagnosis.

asperger's is when the child develops speech on time {even early in some cases} but still has clear markers of autism.

pdd,nos is when a child has a MARKED DELAY in speech.. .those are the kids who don't talk until they are 3-4-5 years old.  and also.. clear markers for autism.

what is "autism"

well.. it's not a word that describes one condition, but rather teh culmination of conditions with varying degrees of severity. many of these conditions exist alone... without autism, but when you mix them up.. you get autism.

things like, but not limited too...

sensory dysfunction, receptive expressive language skills {apraxia} bi-lateral coordination disorders like "developmental coordination disorder"  hypotonia {low muscle tone} visual receptive skills, pragmatics disorders.

the key feature present with all autistics, the one feature that exists across the boards, regardless of functionality......

the "root" of all autism is "theory of mind" which is the ability {or for autistics the lack there of}  to perceive the world from an other's point of view. they are rigid and literal and the result is.. it makes it difficult for them to relate to others.  sure they understand you have feelings... but they don't "get it"

to them.. it's their perception of what has happened that is correct.

like...   let's say an autistic kid is bumped into in the hall way.

you turn and say sorry.. he asks why you PUSHED him.

you are like "huh? i didn't push you"   lol but it's their perception.

another thing tied into the theory of mind is their inabilityto understand pragmatics.... which is body language and social speech....  facial expressions.  i still struggle with this to this day even at 34.  people tell each other things with their bodies, faces and most specifically.. their eyes.  autistics don't get it... because we are literal, the result is we are poor liars. pragmatics require a certain level of deception at times that autistics don't get. sarcasm... is deceptive so that's why.. they don't get it. they lack that social filter that allows them to interprit and understand those things that normal people can do easily..

i could literally fill this post with info....  lol  so to spare the other women of that...  do you have any specific questions?

DO NOT be afraid to ask the hard questions.. i will not get offended or upset. you can't learn unless you ask.. and i am more than happy to answer any question you have  "}

Thank you. You summed it up pretty well and even me-who knows next to nothing on the subject was able to follow along.

Aislin
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Is a form of high functioning autism. My son has it. If you have any questions feel free to ask. He is very smart but can't function socially without help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)