Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Mirena IUD causes miscarriages ?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was reading this in another post and now i am wondering how does the IUD actually work??

i thought i did a decent amount of research but i have to admit it was the research put out by the IUD companies and what my Dr. told me.

I remember reading that the Mirena IUD was not sure how it worked but it was either one of 2 things or both.  Something about the device blocking and the hormones tricking the body.

now im reading from you mommas in the other post that it actually does ot do this but instead you can still get pregnant on it and then causes you to have a miscarriage??? is this true ? how does it really work ????

i would really like to know how this thing that is inside me works /???

by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyGal
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Yes you can accidently get pregnant, and they tell you this before they put it in.

Just like any other form of BC, you have a small chance of getting pregnant. It doesn't allow you to get pregnant. Who ever said that was giving out false information.

kltinsley
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

If you get pregnant while you have it in, yes it can cause a miscarriage. 

Once it's removed, there shouldn't be any additional risk, at least not from what I've heard.

Tea4Tas
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM

It doesn't prevent the egg from fertilizing, it prevents it from implanting properly (along with thinning the lining of the uterus) ANY IUD can cause miscarriages. The pregnanyc rate for Mirena is 8 out of 1000 woman ina 5 year period.

That rate is the woman who KNOW they are pregnant. If you feel life begins at conception then Mirenia is NOT for you, because it does NOT prevent conception.

MaryLu86
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM
it causes the cervical build up to thicken or something... but the chances of getting pregnant are far less than any other birth control... like less than 1 in 100 vs 10 (or more) in 100 on the pill...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOf2kids67
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM

i just recently got mine taken out but i had it for almost 2 1./2 yrs with no complications or accidentlal pregnancies,

drealu
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I did make a comment about that. But that was in regards to the old IUD's. I can't remember specifically, but that is what the doctor told my mother when she got pregnant with me with one in. If they were to remove it completely, I would have been aborted. I believe I pushed it out when I was born. (I am 29...so IUD's they used 30 years ago).

Quoting ArmyGal:

Yes you can accidently get pregnant, and they tell you this before they put it in.

Just like any other form of BC, you have a small chance of getting pregnant. It doesn't allow you to get pregnant. Who ever said that was giving out false information.

3babies1987
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM

What it does is it thins out the uterine lining causing a hostile environment for a fertilized egg, the egg fertilization takes place in the fallopian tubes, then the egg travels out of the tube and into the uterus, being that the uterine walls are now thin the egg should not be able to attach to the walls of the uterus, any birth control has risks, all of them have the risk of causing a miscarriage if you get pregnant on them. However they are supposed to prevent pregnancy, that is how they work, they are not supposed to terminate it and still be working, they terminate it because its still releasing hormones that cause your uterus to be hostile. Depending on where you read 1 out of 1000 women got pregnant on mirena in five years, others say its 8 out of 1000 women. The copper IUD is 5 out of 1000 women or I think 15 out of 1000 women. All just depends on where you got your info from. I was the one who miscarried with the mirena, I researched on a million different sites, and miscarriage was a side effect not how it works!

butrflyekises
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quoting ArmyGal:

My Dr. told me it was so accurate that when i told her i was still using condoms she said there was no need and there was more of a chance that the condom would brake against the IUD and that  don't need to use them because i will not get pregnant on an IUD.  (i got it put in at plan parenthood)

butrflyekises
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Quoting 3babies1987:

What it does is it thins out the uterine lining causing a hostile environment for a fertilized egg, the egg fertilization takes place in the fallopian tubes, then the egg travels out of the tube and into the uterus, being that the uterine walls are now thin the egg should not be able to attach to the walls of the uterus, any birth control has risks, all of them have the risk of causing a miscarriage if you get pregnant on them. However they are supposed to prevent pregnancy, that is how they work, they are not supposed to terminate it and still be working, they terminate it because its still releasing hormones that cause your uterus to be hostile. Depending on where you read 1 out of 1000 women got pregnant on mirena in five years, others say its 8 out of 1000 women. The copper IUD is 5 out of 1000 women or I think 15 out of 1000 women. All just depends on where you got your info from. I was the one who miscarried with the mirena, I researched on a million different sites, and miscarriage was a side effect not how it works!

Thanks for the info and the response.  I am so sorry that happened to you! but good to know that it is not how it is supposed to happen If you know  what i mean?

I think i will leave mine in since i happen to like it thus far, also if i got pregnant again i would have to seriously consider an abortion.  With that said i don't want to have one or to mis carry.  I want to do what is the safest most effective way to prevent pregnancy. 

butrflyekises
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

It doesn't prevent the egg from fertilizing, it prevents it from implanting properly (along with thinning the lining of the uterus) ANY IUD can cause miscarriages. The pregnanyc rate for Mirena is 8 out of 1000 woman ina 5 year period.

That rate is the woman who KNOW they are pregnant. If you feel life begins at conception then Mirenia is NOT for you, because it does NOT prevent conception.

well, i do not feel life begins at conception, i believe life starts when a baby can be born or removed and survive outside of the whom.   But i do believe conception is the start of what could become  a child, but having sex CAN lead to a baby, we all know that ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN