Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CALLING ALL PAGANS

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM
  • 9 Replies

Ok So I have been Catholic my entire life for no other reason then that it makes my grandma happy, and I would do anything to please her. However, in all honesty, I am not oblivious to the fact that church is full of hypocritical power trippers who swear they can instill Jesus in everyone the "right way".

THIS IS BEING SAID OF MY CHURCH, NOT ALL CATHOLIC CHURCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, From what I have hard prior, and what I have seen on here, Paganism(?) seems like a very interesting religion that I am seriously considering converting to. So I was hoping you could tell me about your religion. How do you convert? What does it entail? Do you have a church? Who what and why do you worship? I want answers first hand from actual practising pagans.

I think converting at this point in my life would be a good idea, and help me get through life. Thanks for reading and all answers are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pandorasbox69
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:27 AM

BUMP!

pandorasbox69
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:32 AM

NOBODY????????????

ChaoticSoul
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM
I didnt do anything to convert...i just started practicing. I have been pagan for years. I worship the god and goddess. There are alot of websites on the subject they can also answer ur questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pandorasbox69
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Thanks! Any in particular you would recommend?

Quoting ChaoticSoul:

I didnt do anything to convert...i just started practicing. I have been pagan for years. I worship the god and goddess. There are alot of websites on the subject they can also answer ur questions.

MsJoa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM
Oh my goodness, that's a lot of questions ...

I'll give you my answers in a little bit -it'll take a while to write.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
junebug624
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM

There is no actual conversion per se.... you study up on the subject, and when you are informed you either self-initiate or are initiated into a coven.  Pagans worship so many different godesses/gods or just a goddess.  Try reading Wicca: the Complete Craft by D.J. Conway for some really good info.  It's mostly geared towards the Wiccan aspect, but there is some useful info on paganism as well.  I used to be a Catholic (even was an alter server).  I am a solitary practioner of Wicca which is a form of Paganism.  I worship mostly the Godess, but I understand that her consort the God does his part as well.

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college graduate, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

MsJoa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:04 AM
Okay, here we go (and remember this is just my answer, not a universal one):

Before you decide this is right for you, do lots and lots and LOTS of reading and research.

I'm assuming you want to get into the Wicca aspect of Paganism. So, book wise, I recommend Scott Cunnigham. In his writtings, he's not constrained to any one tradition in particular. So, it's  easy to find yourself and what works for you.

Converting can be as simple or as intricate as you want it to be. Some Wiccans just decided to do it. Others do a private self-dedication, or a public dedication in a coven or open circle.

Wicca and Paganism entails a lot. That's why I reccomend you educate yourself first. It's not something you can't easily summerize.

Some go to many types of churches, including Christian churches to gain a more well-rounded spiritual experience. But mostly, nature is the church. Pagans don't need a building.

Pagans worship many, many, many different deities. Sometimes they even make up their own deities to worship. Again, educate yourself. familiarize yourself with the deities of the world. You'll soon realize it's a lot like reading about the Saints.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jkleinman
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Go get the following book: Paganism An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Joyce & River Higginbotham.  I read this book and I'll tell you that it was very insightful and also gives you recommendations on more books to look for to do further research.  I did nothing to convert, just found what I believed in, studied it, and practiced.

pandorasbox69
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Thanks. I of course do plan on doing my research. I research absolutely everything. I love the earth and am really just looking for a more spiritual way to just be. I just want to not have the drama of the church to run my life.

Quoting MsJoa:

Okay, here we go (and remember this is just my answer, not a universal one):

Before you decide this is right for you, do lots and lots and LOTS of reading and research.

I'm assuming you want to get into the Wicca aspect of Paganism. So, book wise, I recommend Scott Cunnigham. In his writtings, he's not constrained to any one tradition in particular. So, it's  easy to find yourself and what works for you.

Converting can be as simple or as intricate as you want it to be. Some Wiccans just decided to do it. Others do a private self-dedication, or a public dedication in a coven or open circle.

Wicca and Paganism entails a lot. That's why I reccomend you educate yourself first. It's not something you can't easily summerize.

Some go to many types of churches, including Christian churches to gain a more well-rounded spiritual experience. But mostly, nature is the church. Pagans don't need a building.

Pagans worship many, many, many different deities. Sometimes they even make up their own deities to worship. Again, educate yourself. familiarize yourself with the deities of the world. You'll soon realize it's a lot like reading about the Saints.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)