Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much should kids know/ see about gay couples?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM
  • 27 Replies

I guess this is geared more towards those who are accepting of homosexuals. Otherwise the answer would probably be nothing, lol. This is for anyone.

I think whatever is OK for a straight couple is OK for a gay couple, like kissing, holding hands, hugging. No one should be doing anything raunchy in front of children. Otherwise, no holds barred. Here's a situation. My mom has a good friend who is a gay man. They work together. His name is David, his partner is Nick. So ds has met David a few times at their work. He's obviously not been with his partner there. David and Nick had a party at their house and invited my mom and told her she could bring some people with her. They have a pool, lots of property with many animals and there were going to be other children there. My mom thought my ds 4 would have a good time. I thought this was a great idea and she took him with her. When he came home later he was telling me all about David and his friend Nick. If I had been there, I think I would have told my son Nick is his boyfriend. If my son had any comments or questions, I would have said something like, sometimes two men love each other the way mommies and daddies do or the way men and women do. I would not have offered that much explanation unless my son asked ,my son would have probably asked.

Just curious what do you think? Do you think that is too much for a child? I don't see the point in hiding it, then again, I see anything wrong with it.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
junebug624
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Im not much for PDAs in general (straight or gay).. but as far as them seeing it... I hope they would know that it's an acceptable way of life, and that two people in love is something to be cherished.

NicholasMama608
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I think they should know whatever they want.  What's OK for a strait couple is OK for a gay couple.  They are still a couple.  Kids don't need to know what goes on behind closed doors but the certainly shouldn't be shielded from seeing two people who love each other hold hands or kiss in public.  Unless you(general public) show that it's wrong the kid probably won't think twice about it.

Photobucket
ErikaM27
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM

If my son asked I would just say that is the person he loves. I would say just like mommy loves daddy. He loves him. I wouldn't make it a big deal because it isn't IMO. I just think that we can't deny that kids are going to be curious so why hide it. It is what it is right.

pixie_trix
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM

My child has seen, been around, and experienced gay couples just like he does straight couples.  He's seen straight couples hold hands, kiss, hug, talk sweet to another..etc..  He's seen the same in gay couples.  He's been around straight couples his whole life, he's been around gay couples his whole life.

I've raised my child this way , and I feel, that there is no difference between a straight couple and a gay couple. Both are 2 people who love one another.  Nothing more nothing less.

So me personally. Nope what you shared isn't too much at all.

atowers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM

It's a fact of life and I think it's perfectly fine for children to be aware that there are gay couples in the world.  You never know where you're going to run into them and hopefully, they're discreet about their PDA towards one another and the child doesn't ask many questions.  What you said "sometimes two men -or two women- love each other the way mommies and daddies do," is a fine statement.

snugglesaurus
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:45 AM

It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

My daughter is almost 3 and she has seen people of the same sex kiss, cuddle, hug in a loving manner many times. It has never occured to her that it should be something weird. If she ever has to ask a question, an honest simple answer is all it should take.

joshswife07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:47 AM
I think seeing that young they will be more accepting of it as they get older.Love is love,period.It upsets me that people hate it.Who are we to judge? Anyone should be allowed to love who they love!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skisbufly1
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Quoting joshswife07:

I think seeing that young they will be more accepting of it as they get older.Love is love,period.It upsets me that people hate it.Who are we to judge? Anyone should be allowed to love who they love!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

unspecified42
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I don't expect homosexual couples to act any differently than heterosexual couples.

.thickie.thick.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Whatever a straight couple would do around them/or in their view is fine for gay couples. I would hate for Ryne and i to be able to hug or something in the mall , but someone get pissed that a gay couple just did that in front of their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)