Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you became good friends with your brother's girlfriend.......

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:22 AM
  • 18 Replies

....and they broke up under harsh circumstances, would you continue to be friends? What if your brother asked you not to talk to her anymore? 

I feel stuck. :-(

ETA: I'm not sure why they broke up. He can be a jerk, she can be immature. ???? LOL! What I THINK happened, is he can't get his shit together and she got sick of it. BUT she dumped him after 2.5 years over a text message. :-(

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashasay
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Aww sad day :( Maybe he will change his mind after some time goes by. That is a tough one.

spittersmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I guess it would depend on the circumstances....like if she cheated on him, or he cheated on her or what, My best friend is actually my ex's sister, but him and I broke up mutally so it was a little different, it would all depend on the reasoning for the break up

TwinsXTwo
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM

My brother had a girlfriend and my 3 sisters, my mom, and I (pluses nephews and nieces) all LOVED her..and were good friends with her.  They broke up and we all still talk to her.  My brother really hates it though.  We don't ever talk to him about her or her about him. She's married now and my brother now has another girlfriend.  But I'll always be friends with her.  She's a great girl and had they not dated and she and I met we would have been great friends..so why let a past relationship stop us.  We don't hang out as much but we all do still talk to her and see her every once in a while.  Good luck!!

Bam_Bam
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:27 AM
I would still be her friend. Whatever happened between them has nothing to do with your relationship with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:28 AM

If my brother broke up with his wife I'd kick his ass! =) Seriously, I would continue being friends with her.

MaeHamMomma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Yeah, no way my brother would be allowing or dis-allowing my friendships.

ErikaM27
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:30 AM

I have been in this position. Since my brother had nothing to do with her that didn't mean I couldn't be her friend. She was my friend then and she's like a best friend now. My brother never told me anything though. He wasn't upset cause I was still friends with her when they broke up. It all depends on the reasons also. If it was because of something she did that broke his heart I can understand his reason.KWIM?

Lori_G4
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I have told my BIL before.... "Don't bring someone into the family, ask me to accept them, ask me to befriend them, and ask me to love them, and then expect me to quit doing all of the above just because YOU decide you are done with them." I am still friends with my BIL's fiance, and they broke up about 11 years ago. He has been married and divorced since and lived with another girl that he had a child with. I tried to remain friends with the ex-wife, but she couldn't accept my boundaries (no discussing what BIL may or may not be doing or BIL's new girlfriend, etc). Each time he brings a new girl into the family, I am up front and honest with her and explain that I am still and will ALWAYS be friends with his first fiance. Your brother will get over you being friends with her, but be sure to set up clear boundaries with her if you do decide to remain friends. GL!

aidens_mom_0854
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM
My ex's sister and I are still really close friends, her brother was constantly cheating on me and etc and she would be the first person I would all for comfort. I still gontobhwr house and watch her son, I also think it depends on how the break up gies between the ex and girlfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MKSmom09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:36 AM

That happened with one of my brother's exes. I am still friends with her but know that I am glad that he found his wife, because she was not a good match for him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)