Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

an exploding umbilical cord(AshtonLee 7.13.10)&pics

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM
  • 38 Replies

Finally able to get on the computer and tell Ashtons story!!

~Well, after waiting and waitng, I finally was able to get into the hospital to be induced. Monday July 12th at 7am I was admitted to the hospital and put on pitocin and checked to see how dilated I was. I was at 1cm. At around 5 pm they took me off pitocin to rest for the night and eat because I had only progressed to 2cm. I was barely feeling any contractions at all.The only thing that was starting to bug me was my back periodically. I was really frustrated because nothing was happening even WITH the pitocin :(  During the night though, I kept waking up because of my back pain and I couldn't lay the way that was comfortable because Ashton would move away from the monitors.

~Finally at about 7am they came back to but me on pitocin again. 10:30 rolled around and they checked my progress. I was at a 5! I was so happy! They broke my water and asked if I wanted the epidural. Now, im deathly afraid of needles so I decided beforehand that if I still cared about how big that needle was- I didn't need the epidural yet lol. So I turned it down when they asked me the first time. About five minutes later,gasping for air because it hurt to breathe- I told my mom to go get the nurse lol.  My friend Zentra was with me and apparently I was making some pretty weird faces because after I got the epidural she told me "Lindsey I have never seen you in so much pain in my life and I hope I never have to agian" haha.Around this time my friend Jessica arrived so I had everyone there (Mom, Zentra, Jessy). 

~About an hour after the epidural had been put in, I had progressed to 9cm and 10 minutes later was told it was time to start pushing. 12 contractions later there he was =] He was born with the umbilical cord around his neck and when my doctor went to pull it over his head-it exploded. When i say exploded i mean EXPLODED. There was blood everywhere. Down the tv that was in the room, the dry erase board, in the closet, behind me on the bed,all over everyone within a 7ft radius and all over the floor. The only place it DIDNT get was the ceiling, surprisingly.  

~My doctor said she had only ever heard of it happening one other time, and they still dont know what caused it to happen. It snapped really close to him so it took some blood from him. He was very blue when he was born and then turned really white. they took him right over to be helped by the nurses. I'm freaking out by this point and it doesn't help that about 10 more people came rushing into the room at once and no one was telling me what was going on. My two friends are in tears because they were happy that he was born, and I just couldnt stop staring over where he was behind all the people and i was trying so hard to hold back my tears. I was too scared to cry. He wasnt making any noise in the way of crying- Just this horrible choking noise and he kept spitting stuff out. Finally he let out one cry and it was the most amazing noise in the entire world.I saw the nurses tension fade away quickly so I finally took a breath and started to bawl my eyes out. They took him down to the nursery for about an hour to run some tests and make sure he was ok. He came back to me and was perfect. Born at 1:43pm, 8lbs 3.7oz. 20 and 1/4 inches

I love him more than anything =] he is my world now

when i first got to hold him after he came back from the nursery

(5 days old)

2 weeks:

and 3 weeks:

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kizbee
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Awww... congrats!  He was born on my wedding anniversary! 

.carrie.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Hooray! What a cutie!

rona503
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM

he is so beautiful .im glad every thing is ok now .

maciymommieof3
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM

congrats.................beatuiful boy and beatiful story

jojolicious220
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Aww congrats on your little boy. That would have freaked me out too. I'm glad everything is ok.

crysjuls
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:03 AM
Omg he's sooo cute! :) congrats! I jst had mt baby on may 17th :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Awww!!!!! He's gonna be a heartbreaker when he gets older!!!!! He's perfect!!!!!! :-) :-) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy that he's okay!!

LindseyKate
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Quoting crysjuls:

Omg he's sooo cute! :) congrats! I jst had mt baby on may 17th :D

oh congrats =]

CafeMom Tickers
mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM

What a handsome boy you have there!

PTBAAMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM

he IS perfect!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)