Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

open cups?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM
  • 16 Replies

at home, we have an open cup policy. Our son who is 17 months, only uses open cups. Occasionally Daddy will give him a straw cup or a juice box if he is feeling lazy but that is MAYBE once a week. We've had this policy since he was around 12-13 months. He gets a straw cup in the car.

of course there are lots of messes, there are occasions where he will put his whole dinner in his cup THEN eat it, he sometimes throws the whole cup down and spills it all. Of course I take the cup away when he is being naughty and reinforce and praise good cup behavior, but the mess itself doesnt bother me, he's a toddler for goodness sakes, messes are part of the process. I just give him little bits of milk or water at a time to cut back on the mess. And he is only allowed his cup at the table or at the coffee table, no running around with it.

Well, at Grammas house, he gets a sippy cup. Despite how many times I've told her it is unneccesary, but it is not a battle worth fighting so I let it go. What I cant let go is her nagging me  to dig out his old sippys to give him at home (he never used a bottle, he is a breastfed boy and only took a sippy on occasion starting around 4 months)

She says it will be easier on me and he "does so well with his sippy, there is no mess" which is BULL because I sit there and watch him slat his cuppy around sending the contents everywhere in little sticky droplets as opposed to him spilling it all in one puddle like a normal cup....

So, how old were your kids when they finally used the cup right consistently? do you have any other advice for me? Should I suck it up and use sippys and give up on my quest to keep my son from being "that kid" with the sippy like I was?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarchMarie
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

BUMP!

MNLETLE
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM
Do what you want. Your kid. My DD at 2.5 likes sippies BC of her little brother. They are both completely capable of drinking from a regular cup, and often do...but I allow sippies too. Why? BC I don't care either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyfat5
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I personally keep the kids using the sippy cups as long as they want. My last one to go off the sippy could take it to the sink, screw off the top, fill it, and put the top back on. I don't remember exactly how old she was but she was in school. I just didn't want the mess. They all could drink from a cup, there were just spills. They were not to run through the house with them either. It was at the table (or at least in the kitchen) or sitting on the couch.

beckygeiger
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I greatly dislike cleaning up spills at dinner when the cup spills milk all over the table so we started using tupperware tumblers with lids around 2. she is 4 now and can drink without a lid but if she is not sitting down we still use a lid. she get's a regular sippy for car trips.

82ndairbornewif
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM
Eh my kids only get sippy cups in the car but they are 5 and 3 way old enough to be using regular cups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommytoNandA
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Well IMO it's just a cup.  Nate was about 1 or 2 when he started using a regular cup at meal times.  If he wanted water or juice in the living room or anywhere out of the kitchen he had to have a lid.  Now he doesn't even do that.  I just make him  stay in the kitchen with his drinks.  Abbie is 2 and she can drink out of a cup just fine, but she actually chooses not to.  She will beg me for a lid or a straw.  Not sure why.

Newtons06
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM
We started using strictly open cups, except at bedtime or nap time, right around Christmas. But my mom is the same as yours and he has now backtracked and refuses to use an open cup, he has to have a silly cup all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laciD
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM

We stopped using sippy cups around 18 months, they are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 now and only use regular adult cups.

Jewelzgirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I used a sippy cup until dd said she was a big girl.  For me the sippy cup was more for her use, until she learned balance and coordination and then later on, she used because she like it.  If she wanted to drink from an open cup, I helped her.  But that's what worked for me.  If what you are doing is something you're comfortable with, go with it.

boysmomma260
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Goodness! Why the need to grow your son up so quickly??  Everyone drinks out of a cup eventually don't they??  There are so many wonderful stages they go through and imo, you should just enjoy them.  What does it matter that he never gets a straw or sippy??  He is still a baby.  I am not trying to be rude but I just don't get it when people rush their babies to grow up.  If he is capable of drinking from a reg cup, what would it matter if he had a sippy? 

Sorry, don't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)