Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS has bruised me! I don't know what to do anymore. Update in blue

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 54 Replies

So annoyed with EI(early intervention) here. I am still trying to get an appointment for DS. He is saying more "words" now( DH and I can make out what he is saying,lol) but his temper is getting worse. We went to the water park yesterday. DD wanted to go and summer is almost over so I figured we would be ok. WRONG!

He had so much fun in the pool and on the slides for like 2 1/2 hours. Then he wanted to get out and go sit. So we got lunch, ate, and then I took him to a quiet spot, away from people, and where he could not hear or see the pool, and tried to get him to lay down. (my Aunt was with DD in the pool). He then proceeded to have a fit. They are getting so much worse since about 3 weeks ago. Before they were bad. He would scream, kick, etc. Now he hits me, pinches,bites, throws things, screams, etc. To the point where I have bruises and scars. He is only 19 moths old!

His Doctor expressed some concern at his 18 month check up, but said She couldnt realy test or diagnose anything till at least 2, but gave me the number to EI in our area. Now I am waiting till Monday, and I will go down there and try and talk to someone. I have been playing phone tag with them for like 2 weeks now.

Anyway, has anyone else dealt with this? How? How do you manage a toddler who may have issues? How do you calm them down? We are not spanker's, I have NEVER been violent with him, and he will only stay with my Aunt, who also never spanks. I don't know why he has gotten so violent with us, and I just do not know what to do anymore.

Ok. First off. I will not hit my child with my hand(let alone anything else!)  Honestly, I do not feel that would help at all. I mean really, I hit him and say "we don't hit!" ? He wouldn't even understand why Mommy is hurting him. I do not believe that will help at all. This is not my first child, and we made it through DD's terrible 2's, and 3's, and 4's without spanking. If you do it, good for you, but I will not, and certainly not to a child who may be autistic.

Second, yes I am aware that for some tantrums, hitting, etc are normal. But with DS, when you combine the severe tantrums, with his speech, energy levels, and a few other factors there is reason to be concerned. THAT is why we are contacting EI.

I am asking those who have gone through this. The testing, the waiting, etc. What they have done not to just fall apart? How they handled the fits?  Perhaps I should have been more clear, I am sorry for that. This is of course an open forum, so if you feel the need to be snarky and rude when all I am doing is asking advice go for it. Hopefully the few Moms who have gone through this phase(I cannot remember your names or I would have asked in a PM sorry) will see this and respond.

Being happy doesnt mean everything is perfect. It means you decide to look past the imperfections.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I'm so sorry momma that you're going through this and haven't dealt with anything like this, but there has to be a reason why he's acting this way, I don't know what to tell you maybe take him to see some kind of children's counselor or something, praying for you both and please keep us posted.

LuvMyPenguins
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Here's a bump for you. I'm not sure what you could do. GL and HUGS...

Alishia655
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

BUMP!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM

BUMP!

MomX04
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Darn hun, I wish I knew what to say.  I can't begin to fathom what you must be going through.  I hope you find something soon.

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Early intervention of WHAT? Secondly, you probably should spank him. Maybe it will give him some incentive to stop hitting YOU because he knows how it feels.

Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM

We've been dealing with major tantrums, he tries to hit us but not as bad as yours, but his tantrums are horrendous. Honestly, we have stopped going anywhere because of them and we are working w/ EI now too. We just had our first evaluation and are waiting on the second one right now. We too played phone tage. look online and see if you can email them. That is what I did and I finally got someone to get a hold of me.

KRIZZ25
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM

OK he,s 18 months old..what do u expet him to do if he can talk good ?? i mean he has to express him self some how.my son was same way wen he was 18 months to 3 years old.. he will get better wth time.. my son would  go crasy for 45 min and cry and hit him self and the wall ,me ,others..he is 5 now and better..give it time mama.. 

Colleen86
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM
He's doing this because he can! Lol
There is no punishment of anu kind.
When my son acts that way, I get my husband to deal with it.
He's scared of him (my DH does NOT hit him. I do not let him). He just raises his voice really loud.
What's your DH doing to discipline your son?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristen5476
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM

EI most likely of speech. 

And some people don't spank.  We don't spank in our household.  It teaches to use words and have respect for others. Answering violence with violence is never the answer. It sendsmixed messages.

Quoting SAMNMAYASMOM:

Early intervention of WHAT? Secondly, you probably should spank him. Maybe it will give him some incentive to stop hitting YOU because he knows how it feels.

GL OP.  It does sound like a mixture of a sutbborn boy and communication frustrations.

working.jpg picture by jdmmermaid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)