• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone married to an electrician or knows electric?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

last night our power went out in part of the house... Kitchen ceiling lights, all of the living room and a couple plugs in DD room. Went to the box and reset the switches... didnt work. we cant afford to have an electrician come out, but was wondering if this is something an electrician would have to fix or could there be a simple solution that we could try... i dont know if these electrical storms could have something to do with it... the other day our power flickered 4 times because lightening hit so close... so any advice... please please give it to me :)

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
princessTnBabyB
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Your fuse may have blown out, just have to replace it.

Tea4Tas
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Do you have circut breakers or fuses? And is there a GFI on that circut that might need resetting?

northernmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM

your breaker may have blown, you need to figure out which breaker goes to that particular circuit and then replace the breaker.

ForeverDream
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM

circut breaker... and whats a gfi.... Im totaly stupid when it comes to this stuff. but Im going to tell hubby your guys suggestions.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Do you have circut breakers or fuses? And is there a GFI on that circut that might need resetting?

LilLily1110
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM

This just happened to my house as well. My hubby is an electrician. He said that it could be that a leg of the transformer blew out... Which your electric company is responsible to fix... Or those breakers blew and need replaced. We're calling the electric company first then if thats not it we're gonna fix it when we go home next month

Drippiningirls
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I know our bouncy house has a GFI and one of our outlets had them.  Basically look for buttons on your outlets or plugs that says Reset.

ForeverDream
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM

okay... ill let hubby know this. im only as good and turning the switches off to onn which didnt trip when the power went off...

Quoting northernmommy:

your breaker may have blown, you need to figure out which breaker goes to that particular circuit and then replace the breaker.

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM

It's probably just the fuse.  

ForeverDream
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM

ooh...we already did that. should have one everywhere theres a sink or water right? hit reset on everyone of those. and nothing

Quoting Drippiningirls:

I know our bouncy house has a GFI and one of our outlets had them.  Basically look for buttons on your outlets or plugs that says Reset.

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM

We had that issue. Changed the fuse and did not work. Changed the outlet and that did not solve the issue. Had to call in the electrician. Turns out we had some sort of ghost wire or something like that that had to be changed. Was a pain in the a$$. But this house is wired screwy anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)