Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soon to be 3 year old boy

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM
  • 12 Replies

My son will be 3 in Sept. He LOVES singing and all kind of music. For the past 3 months all he has been asking me for his birthday is a guitar.

If you child asked you for one at the age, Would you get your child one?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeStorm
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I just got mine one and he is 5..do it!

DazedbySiggies
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Absolutely!

MarchMarie
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

yes. A real one and a toy one, that way he can play with the toy one and the real one can be kept up except for lessons and practicing

mamaoftwins9197
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Much like most everything else, would depend on the maturity level and the responsibility of the child, not the number on the calendar.  My twins will also be 3 in September and I bet my DS would also love a guitar, but I would not get one for him, because I don't think he could have it yet without breaking/ruining it.

CafeMom Tickers
WhiskerLickins
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM

This is what I was going to say!  You should definitely encourage him to learn an instrument!!  :)

Quoting MarchMarie:

yes. A real one and a toy one, that way he can play with the toy one and the real one can be kept up except for lessons and practicing

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
lilblu399
by Tamika on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM
Yes. you can get a real one really cheap on ebay, it would be massed produced so not the best quaility but would serve its purpose. I play violin and my 2 year old is very interested, I got him one off ebay for 40. he'll probably be too big for it real soon, but he likes to play along with mommy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickiNavarro
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I am a guitar player and I used to sell them. My daughter is two and she has a toy story ukulele. It is plastic, has nylon strings, and just her size. It is a great way for her to learn how to hold it and how to treat it. Kids don't have the finger dexterity to really start learning how to play until 4 or 5 and metal strings can be dangerous. I would start with something that gives him the idea, and wait until he is ready for lessons, before you buy a real one. A First Act guitar from a toys r us...is really just a toy. It is not something he will be able to really learn on later...it isn't even going to stay in tune and the metal strings can can really hurt someone if and when they break. I say save your money....spend 20 bucks on a uke and let him pretend for a while.

my daughter playing "titar" with my husband.

KnitWit0686
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, I had one when I was 2....I couldn't play it, but I used to carry it around and sing, what's your name but Lynard Skynard 

MamaFen
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM

get him a ukulele, our lil boy loves his and they're only about 20 bucks at toys r us.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Not a real one of course. But a child's one...or one that's made for a small child at least.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)