• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I take her or no?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM
  • 9 Replies

DD is supposed to be going to a beach party today at the lake for her friend. It's not a birthday party, just a get together (she's 5 and her BFF is 6). her friend is leaving her school to go to 1st grade, so DD won't be seeing her as much.

Here's the problem(s): One, it might rain, has been off and on all day. There is a 90% chance of thunderstorms most of the day, but there's a chance it will clear up later this afternoon, and we're supposed to hit 85 today. The parents haven't called to say that it's cancelled though.

Two: I'm 7.5 months pregnant. The idea of being outside in the rain and/or heat is NOT appealing to me today.

Three: DD has a bit of a sore throat and is all stuffed up. She's been sniffling all day.

So the question is this: Do I take her and risk her (or me) getting really sick, or do I really disappoint her and make her stay home? She's been looking forward to this all week

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MamaPeanut
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I'd go and give it a shot.  You can always leave if the weather turns ugly, the kids would understand.  Also try to give your dd some medicine first, so she's more comfortable.

sweetcherry_59
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM
i say at least take her then if you dont want to stay just leave but if she has been looking forward to this all week she should get to go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aichia
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM
tough call. If she's looking like she might be getting sick I wouldn't take her. Maybe you can reschedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyPenguins
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I dunno, I'm always paranoid about making other peoples kids sick. I would stay home because I would feel bad if my kid got another one sick... KWIM?

zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM

That's why I'm torn... I don't want anyone, including her getting sick, but this is her best friend...

Gailll
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I would take her, since you can stay and always leave. You have more to fear from being around other kids and getting sick than from being outside. The heat doesn't sound that bad. I live in Tucson where it's over 100 every day and it's monsoon season. It rains most days and it's humid. Pregnant women go out and do things.  

zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM

LOL Im in MN. It's always humid here. right now we're sitting at 70 degrees and 99%.  Now I'm not even sure we'll get to the 85 but if it does the humidity will be unbearable

OT but my MIL lives in Tucson. She'd rather be there than here in the summer

Quoting Gailll:

I would take her, since you can stay and always leave. You have more to fear from being around other kids and getting sick than from being outside. The heat doesn't sound that bad. I live in Tucson where it's over 100 every day and it's monsoon season. It rains most days and it's humid. Pregnant women go out and do things.  

charliebean
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I'd go. Sun and water aren't going to hurt her throat, and a nice big umbrella should keep you comfortabl, plus being in the water yourself will feel really nice after carrying all that weight around being 7 months preggers. Sides, you know summer only lasts three months in Minnesota, so you better enjoy it while you can?

BTW, where are you from? I grew up just outside Hibbing.

Quoting zoeysmom331:

LOL Im in MN. It's always humid here. right now we're sitting at 70 degrees and 99%.  Now I'm not even sure we'll get to the 85 but if it does the humidity will be unbearable

Quoting Gailll:

zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I'm in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis

Quoting charliebean:

I'd go. Sun and water aren't going to hurt her throat, and a nice big umbrella should keep you comfortabl, plus being in the water yourself will feel really nice after carrying all that weight around being 7 months preggers. Sides, you know summer only lasts three months in Minnesota, so you better enjoy it while you can?

BTW, where are you from? I grew up just outside Hibbing.

Quoting zoeysmom331:

Quoting Gailll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)