Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New neighbor's music WWYD?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have lived at an apartment complex for 5 months now. Each building has 12 units. A few weeks ago we got new neighbors across the hall. Until that time I was surprised at how quiet the building was. These people play their music 24/7. They don't turn it off at night. They don't even seem to turn it off when they are not home. The bass can be heard in our entire apartment. The music doesn't seem that loud. It is just the bass. It isn't loud in the common hallway. Just in my unit. Last weekend they had a party. Their guests threw up in the parking lot and they did not bother to clean it. I don't see them happily turning down the music if I ask them to.

Would you knock on their door? Call the landlord? Get over it since this is to be expected in a complex? Something else?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Call the apartment manager. Chances are you are not the only one that complained.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Depends on your comfort level. If you're ok with talking to them directly, do that, if not, report it to the landlord and let them deal with it.

We had the cops called on us one time for playing our TV too loud. Well I'm hearing impaired so I turn it up louder to hear it. It was just habit, but again, cops were called. I explained the situation to them and later explained to the neighbors. But really all they had to do was knock on our door and say "Hey, your TV is too loud can you turn it down please?" But I tell you, I'm so glad that we own a house now.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

Depends on your comfort level. If you're ok with talking to them directly, do that, if not, report it to the landlord and let them deal with it.

We had the cops called on us one time for playing our TV too loud. Well I'm hearing impaired so I turn it up louder to hear it. It was just habit, but again, cops were called. I explained the situation to them and later explained to the neighbors. But really all they had to do was knock on our door and say "Hey, your TV is too loud can you turn it down please?" But I tell you, I'm so glad that we own a house now.

I wouldn't bother. The last neighbors we had apparently grew up in place where smiling and saying "Please" was considered rude. LOL

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

elle7777
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I would talk to the apartment manager. Otherwise if you ask them to turn it down and they don't they will blame you if you then have to ask the apartment manager to intervene. I used to think most people were rational and you could simply ask them to turn down their music. However after I having lived in apartments for years (thankfully I own my own home now) I have seen way too much neighbor drama to bother.

bridey530
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM

call  the manager and tell him that you do not want to cause trouble but the music disturbs you at night and you were wondering if there was a policy "no music after .......p.m."

if it's buggin you it's prolly buggin others!

twinsmommy3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM
My mom still lives in an apartment and this is what she does,first talk to the people directly if it continues then talk to the manager of your apartments,if it still continues call the cops! Most places have noise ordences(sp?) My mom also likes to bang on the wall with a golf club,lol! It seems to work! If they get enough complaints they will be kicked out,happened to me and some friends and we never let the noise get bad. If all else fails do what my dad did one night when the downstairs neighbors dog wouldn't shut-up(I'm talking contineous barking all the time at 3am) go to their door kncok until they come to the door and then,in the words of my dad,ask them if they are f***ing deaf! Hopefully u don't have to do that! Hope it works out for ya!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Keep written notes of everything, and contact the landlord.  When it's after hours, like the late night party, you call the police.  We had some kids in our apartment building that were like that, and after the cops showed up a couple times, they finally toned it down.

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM
Call the apartment manager. They sound like disrespectful idiots to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Also, I know in our lease, if you make a complaint to the manager/landlord, and they contact the people causing the disturbance, and the disturbance continues, you have the right to break your lease and move out.  Read over your lease.  That's why I say to keep a written record of everything.

.thickie.thick.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM

well my next door neighbors were like that ... i DID knock on their door , he said "oh well no one else complained , must be bc you're in your kitchen" ... i DID tell the apt manager he said "well if you tell me whose dealing drugs in the building next door , ill tell them about it" (i just said NVM). So i got over it because its a complex and this is (unfortunatly) the shit that happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)