Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Cancer Vaccine?!?!?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 3 Replies

Has anyone heard of this? I'm not sure if it has been posted before, but I was doing some research for school and came across this. What are your thoughts mamas? I think it would be awesome if it is ever actually approved and works.

Here is part of it and the link to the rest of the article:

Quote:

(CBS)  A vaccine to prevent breast cancer has shown overwhelmingly favorable results in animals, according to a study by researchers at Cleveland Clinic's Lerner Research Institute.

They found that a single vaccination with the antigen a-lactalbumin prevents breast cancer tumors from forming in mice, while inhibiting the growth of existing tumors.

If successful, it would be the first vaccine to prevent breast cancer, reports CBS Cleveland affiliate WOIO.

"We believe this vaccine will someday be used to prevent breast cancer in adult women in the same way that vaccines prevent polio and measles in children," Vincent Tuohy, Ph.D., the study's principal investigator and an immunologist at the Lerner Institute, told WOIO..

"If it works in humans the way it works in mice, this will be monumental. We could eliminate breast cancer," he added.

While the researchers are optimistic, they warn it's a big leap from results in animals to similar results in humans and there is no guarantee the treatment will make it to human trials.

In the current study, genetically cancer-prone mice were vaccinated -- half with a vaccine containing the antigen and half with a vaccine that did not contain the antigen. None of the mice vaccinated with the antigen developed breast cancer, while all the other mice did.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/31/earlyshow/health/main6534772.shtml

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Rachel789
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM
I don't vax and I wouldn't do this either
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

If it had been tested fully and we knew all the possible risks and side effects, I would consider it.

amayabrianna
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)