Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are/were a military spouse please read. Is it normal to feel this way?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

Dh and I moved about 3 months ago to our first duty station. I am sooooo homesick. Im so jealous of family get togethers and everyone having fun back home. I hate where we are stationed at and want to go home really really bad. Even DH's family and mine get together and do things. I want to be a part of things. I miss the cool crisp air, the beautiful water, and the many things to do. I miss my favorite places to eat and the spur of the moment ferry rides to Seattle. Has anyone felt like this? How do you cope? I guess it doesnt help that I just found out not long ago that Im pregnant again and Im super emotional. Anyone have any advice?

PS: I was one that always said I couldnt wait to get out and explore the world, learn new things and meet new people... but I do still feel this way.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LuvMyPenguins
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I would just focus on what the new area had to offer. New places to eat that I've never eaten at before, get in the car and go exploring, local festivities and events, etc. Just remind yourself that you're not going to live there forever so you might as well get the most out of the experience as possible. Plus, it was nice to be able to call home and talk about all of the new things that we had seen or done. Good Luck and Hugs...

MamaOlivia
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Thank you for your reply. DH takes the car everyday to work so oftentimes Im stuck in the house, and my neighbors have been bickering back and forth so I keep inside all day so I dont have to deal with the drama. Im going to have a talk with DH about letting me take the car and him finding a ride once in awhile. Im going to get DS into the childcare on base and take time out for myself to see if that helps a bit. Plus DS will meet other kids to play with. I still cant help but feel super homesick though. This is my first time away from home EVER! I had never even been on a vacation somewhere before.

BUMP for more...

SThompson21
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM

yes. i felt the exact same way. you will learn to love your new place eventually. where are you guys stationed>

1stTimeMama2010
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I felt that way too! Now two years into living here I still miss home. But that comes with being a military spouse. My last little sister just started her period and I felt like I let her down because I wasn't there. It's dumb I know but still. I just remind myself that I am a wife and mother now and I can't get too down because my boys need me. When I was still preggo I was an emotional wreck too becuase I wanted my mom all the time. Don't worry, it will get easier. Try making friends, that has helped me A LOT!

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM
I entered the air force in 97, married an air force guy in 05, and became an official spouse in 07. 13 years away from my family and I still feel like this at times. =) it's normal and you find ways to deal with it, at least if you don't want to be miserable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaroberts3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I felt this way at the beginning....still do sometimes..

MaMa2Azriel
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I felt that way.  I still miss home sometimes and we've been Active 5 years.  Try to find things there to do and try to make friends

AquarianPath
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM
Yep,I definitley get homesick. I'm from alaska andi know exactly how you feel. I just make the best of my situation as possible. Being thankful I'm with my husband and kids. I've been away from my home since 2006...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaOlivia
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Thank you guys so much for the replies! Im so glad that Im not alone with feeling this way. Dont get my wrong Im happy to have my DH and DS with me but I still miss home.

We are stationed at Fort Leavenworth, KS. Im sure it might be a little easier if we were at a  better base. lol. Its not too bad here, but not much to do around the area and i hate the heat. We havent decided if DH will stay in the Army or not. We love the lifestyle in a way and like that we dont have to worry as much about finances, but we are both homebodies who were very close to family and want to be back home with them. We keep going back and forth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)