• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No T.V. until 2 years old.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 34 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you follow the AAP recommendation "no t.v. under 2 years old"?

Options:

Yes...in fact, we don't own a t.v.

Yes, no t.v. until they are 2 or older - if at all

No - I let my child watch child-friendly programs, but very limited

No, I let my under two child watch child programs quite often

No...the t.v. is on all the time at our house

I probably would have allowed them, but they weren't interested

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

http://www.aap.org/sections/media/toddlerstv.htm

I admit...I have not followed this recommendation.  As a single mom I have chosen to put on Baby Einstein and put my son in his excersaucer while I take a shower.  I have put on Blues Clue's or Little Bear while I am having a conversation on the phone.  I do not by any means stick him in front of the television for hours - I never put on programs that have commercials, etc.

I think that this recommendation is there to get parents to think twice about how much  and what kind of television they expose their toddlers to....not necessarily a black and white issue.

Thoughts?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
one_on_the_way
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM

What are the "other" votes...maybe I can add another specific option?

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I think people are lying on this poll.

lisa601
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I didn't really have a rule regarding TV because my kids weren't interested in watching until after age 2.

staceysgorbach
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I voted other cause my kids were not even in to tv at that young. I could try all i wanted to and they were just more interested in going outside or playing with their toys or with mom and dad. They didn't really start liking tv till around 4. And my oldest son would watch the weather channel and the local news. He is now going on 12 years old and is wanting to be a meterologist.

staceysgorbach
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I'm not lying.............in fact i just gave an explanation to go with my "other" vote.

Quoting Radarma:

one_on_the_way
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I accidentally deleted the original "other" votes when I added another option...oops! 

indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Our tv is ALWAYS on and threw out the day if a show we know DS likes he watches it but he sure as heck doesn't sit in front of the tv... In the morning when he gets up I turn on Team umizoomi while he eats his breakfast but thats the only time he sits and watches anything!! other than that its just in passing!!

one_on_the_way
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Quoting staceysgorbach:

I voted other cause my kids were not even in to tv at that young. I could try all i wanted to and they were just more interested in going outside or playing with their toys or with mom and dad. They didn't really start liking tv till around 4. And my oldest son would watch the weather channel and the local news. He is now going on 12 years old and is wanting to be a meterologist.

That is cute...I really liked weather when I was young, too.  Still do, but it's more of a hobby (taking pictures, watching storms rather than running to the basement, etc).

staceysgorbach
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Shame on you! Lol! And i can't vote again! But i did vote other.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

I accidentally deleted the original "other" votes when I added another option...oops! 

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Quoting staceysgorbach:

I'm not lying.............in fact i just gave an explanation to go with my "other" vote.

Quoting Radarma:

That's nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)