Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIT Your Child Down In The Shopping Cart, Please!!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ok, I work at Walmart and in the past month I have seen 3 serious incidents of idiots who let their kids stand up in the shopping cart OR stand up hanging off the back of it.  Last week I saw a baby flip over the back of the "seat" where you're supposed to put babies because she wasn't buckled in and the mom just WATCHED as she stood up and flipped over out of the seat.  3 weeks ago I watched from a distance as a toddler was standing up IN the cart where the food should go, and mom was standing RIGHT THERE, and in the blink of an eye the kid leaned over the side and the whole shopping cart went down with him in it.  Same week, I saw a mom walking nice and slowly with their daughter, about 5, standing on the back of the cart, hanging on to the basket like a lot of kids do.  All of a sudden she slipped fell back and hit her head HARD on the floor.  PLEASE keep your kids seated people.  Or just make them walk.  If the kids don't like it, too freakin' bad.  It's a small price to pay for their safety.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Maybe they should get more carts that are double seaters and can hold older children or teh ones that have the little cars in the front for the kids to sit in. Just a thought.................................

2girlshippiemom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Wow, that's bad. To be honest, my 24 year old did stand up in the shopping cart a few times when she was about 2 or 3, mostly because she'd cry and scream over sitting down and I wasn't the most patient person in my teen years. With my 3 year old, yeah, she sits down at ALL times. Rule is, either sit down in the basket, or she can't go at all.

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Agree!

Princess7777
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I'd like to see more sitting down in the carts.  Parents don't watch their kids enough, they do get side tracked though.  I can understand that, their safety is important.

WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I agree- but Wal-Mart really should have those car buggies....but yes OP I think all parents should make their children sit down.

Behindthelense
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I was grocery shopping once and a really young kid...maybe 2, flew out of the cart and slammed his head into the floor hard enough that people in the next isle heard it and ran over. My stomach sank because the mom just stood there.

I keep my little one buckled in at all times.

WardosWifey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I would LOVE to see those little car buggies at my store!  We have the big "seats" for ages 2-6 attached to some of our carts but then the kids stand up on THOSE seats and sit on the edge of them, etc.  A lot of parents in my store just don't care, apparently.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

I agree- but Wal-Mart really should have those car buggies....but yes OP I think all parents should make their children sit down.

Double.L
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I make my kids sit but I have three small kids so one has to be in the back sitting or riding on the side, no way around it.  Walmart needs more buggies that can sit multiple children!  One of my friends doesn't make her DD sit in the back of the buggy...she fell out once at the store and it was horrifying seeing her head hit the floor!  Once a girl was standing in the isle with her kid standing up and I said excuse me (she didn't move) so I tried to squeeze past her buggy and slightly bumped it.  Her DD almost fell out and she gave me a 'eat shit and die' look.  I said to my son, 'see that's why mommy makes you sit'...lol

coug7099
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM

OMG to the Moms who want car buggies at Wal-Mart. Isn't WM crazy enough without people parking those super sized things in the middle of the isle?

My shopping cart vent is: The door greeter showed my 5 year old how to push in the part of the basket under the seat so he could climb into the grocery part. Don't kids learn enough stupid shit on their own without some dum-dum teaching them how to do this??

WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Quoting WardosWifey:

I would LOVE to see those little car buggies at my store!  We have the big "seats" for ages 2-6 attached to some of our carts but then the kids stand up on THOSE seats and sit on the edge of them, etc.  A lot of parents in my store just don't care, apparently.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

My kids love them...

I learned the scary way when I was younger. I was like 12 and I had an eighteen month old sister. My momhad told me to keep any eye on her and I wound up getting distractedby a friend. She stood up to reach out to me and fell out and hit her head HARD-- and we were in a Wal-Mart.How ironic huh? But anyway she got a concussion and I was grounded for like a month lol. But that experience ten years ago taught me so my kids do NOT stand up in the buggy. I dont even let my four year old dd ride in the big part. She doesn't listen and she will stand up in a heartbeat before I can catch her and climb out. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)