Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can you do for flea control on kittens?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

All the collars and shampoo says not to use them on a kitten under 6 months old.

My 7 year old niece lives upstairs and her dad just got her the kitten she's been begging for. It's 6 weeks old. They spotted a couple tiny fleas on it and it won't eat or go potty.

What do we do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snoop420
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Ask the vet. They have stuff for babies. My mom used garlic tabs on her cat to get rid of fleas. She'd stick one of the tablets down it's throat & it worked but he was an adult cat at the time. I think it's best to ask a vet if it's a kitten tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM

They have Frontline for cats.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Ok. I found some kittens . I had to bathe them everyday in Dawn dish detergent. Just the original blue, with the picture of a seal on it. And brush all the fleas out with a comb. This went on for about a month. What that does is paralyzes the fleas,so  that you can comb them out. Have a bowl of hot water and dish soap handy to put all the fleas you pull off into.

You have to watch because the eggs of fleas are not sticky. So when the kitten runs , walks all those eggs fall off. They do not have to be on the cat to hatch. And they can lie dormant for a year even 2.

Quite scary huh?

But yes that, or you can take them to a vet and get frontline or atvantage. Those are the only 2 that actually work. Nothing OTC works...at all.

It is quite scary. We just went through the same thing.....Fleas were everywhere. I had to vacuum like I shit you not 20x a day. To rid of them. I also had to bomb. All over me being a softy and rescuing kittens. My kids had bites on their legs for 2 days. That was it. I took them to the vet (the kittens) lol. And got atvantage, and scrubbed the hell out of my house. Did the vacuum deal. And got them all out. If you can keep the kitten confined to one small area. Or you will have fleas everywhere like I did.

MommaTashy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM

i would take the kitten to the vet they have flea treatments for kittens if you cant afford it you could always try dawn dish soap the blue kind

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Thanks ladies. I had forgotten u could use dawn. I'll pass it on to my brother.

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Quoting carterscutie85:

All the collars and shampoo says not to use them on a kitten under 6 months old.

My 7 year old niece lives upstairs and her dad just got her the kitten she's been begging for. It's 6 weeks old. They spotted a couple tiny fleas on it and it won't eat or go potty.

What do we do?

Wait, I missed this the first time because I read 6 months in the first sentence... did the mama cat wean the kitten? That could be why it's not eating or going to the bathroom. No puppies or kittens should leave their mother before 8 weeks minimum.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM

He got the kittens from a friend. They found 3.. No trace of mama.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting carterscutie85:

What do we do?

Wait, I missed this the first time because I read 6 months in the first sentence... did the mama cat wean the kitten? That could be why it's not eating or going to the bathroom. No puppies or kittens should leave their mother before 8 weeks minimum.

CafeMom Tickers
MommaTashy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

oh in that case he might want to take the kitten to the vet to check and make sure everything is alright with it .

Quoting carterscutie85:

He got the kittens from a friend. They found 3.. No trace of mama.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting carterscutie85:

What do we do?

lilblu399
by Tamika on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I would take the kitty to the vet, if they don't have one yet, I know petsmart if they have a vet clinic does the first visit for free, plus shelters usually do a small fee.

jltplk25
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I had a 4 week old kitten infested with fleas. The vet tech gave me a spray and told me to take a wet rag, spray it with the spray, then wipe the kitten down. It killed all the fleas but I did it twice in one day. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)