Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Could Have Been DEAD

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM
  • 21 Replies

Ya know I was watching that video posted last night about preterm labor and them sharing the pictures of the 20 minutes they had with their daughter... I noticed other videos below it one being Haylee Mar(something)... Anyhow the little girl was almost five years old when she died of accidental drowning, a family member was suppose to be watching her while she was swimming in the family pool and left and went inside the house only to find the girl had drowned. It was unbelievable sad to think or to try and comprehend the loss, and emptiness of the parents, siblings, grandparents, the family member that failed to do her part....

Drownings often freak me out because I almost and would have been one of them, one of the many kids that drown each year. I remember being 12 years old and went with this church to this lake in Wyoming, me and Chris (Friend of mine yes a boy) swam across this lake. They didn't even KNOW we were GONE...

Well after resting and chit chatting, we because swimming back only half way across this mile lake we started getting tired... I could see panic in Chris's eyes which of course I was already paniced and freaked enough it make it worse for me.

It is unreal to this day I was a fast thinker and told him to get on his back and start back floating.... That is exactly what we did.... I think of how many times people probably paniced like we did, it was the worse feeling we seriously thought we were going to drown.... I dont know why or how but it did just come to me get on my back I never even took swimming lessons!

Anyhow we paddled for awhile I know Chris was hysterical when we finally got to shore, btw they noticed we were on the other side of the Lake and were trying to wave us down to stay, they were getting and renting a paddle boat to fetch for us.... We were rescued half way across the lake on our backs onto the paddle boat.

All I know is, when at places like this, teach your kids to FLOAT on their back, I cannot express enough how that saved our lives. I know this wont work  all the time but it is worth knowing... And why the hell we swam across that freakin lake is beyond me to this day I cannot give you any rational reason....

** BTW I did not learn how to swim like at the YMCA and such that is what I mean by the lessons it just came to me about that line LOL *** wanted to clear that up

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMVITT
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Wow.  Glad you didn't die!!

iluv2meow
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I know it still freaks me out to this day that me and that boy could have ended our lives at 12... Creepy.

Quoting JMVITT:

hautemama83
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Drowning scares the crap outta me, and dry drowning scares the crap outta me even more! Never never a ood idea to not watch your kids around water.

I remember when I was about 9 or 10, we went to a water park. Anyhow they had they Wave pool. So we all went in it, suddenly the waves got way too big for me and kept sucking me back under the water. By then I had totally panicked! Thank GOD for the lifeguard who was there. Other wards I probably would have drowned. 

Rachel789
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM
So glad I'm basically passed this stage with DD. She's 16 and is a really good swimmer. I've actually had to save my sister when we were in the pool. She slipped out of her Floatie thing and she couldn't swim. It was so scary. Glad you're ok
iluv2meow
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Well I know I am going to talk to my teen about it, teens do crazy stuff even though I was a preteen. I think some drownings could have been prevented if kids learn if you cant make it, too tired, FLOAT get on your back and float.

JMVITT
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM

No doubt.  I think I was 13-15 when my family went the to the Grand Canyon.  My little brother and I were standing on the rim of the canyon when I was goofing around.  I slipped and before I completely lost my balance he grabbed me by the arm and helped me regain my balance.  I didn't go within 10 feet of the edge after that!!

Quoting iluv2meow:

I know it still freaks me out to this day that me and that boy could have ended our lives at 12... Creepy.

Quoting JMVITT:

Dawn4175
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM

My husband's co-worker just lost his 2 1/2 year old son to drowning.  He was at the babysitter and climbed into the pool.  They didn't find him till it was too late.  I can not imagine what those parents are going through.  This time of year especially is soooo scary!

iluv2meow
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I know its very sad to any parent that loses a child in any way... the lost never found, the murdered ones, drowning, you name it... Horrifying... Even more horrifying when we have come close to being a part of the lost and gone.

Quoting Dawn4175:

My husband's co-worker just lost his 2 1/2 year old son to drowning.  He was at the babysitter and climbed into the pool.  They didn't find him till it was too late.  I can not imagine what those parents are going through.  This time of year especially is soooo scary!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I almost drown when I was two due to my parents not paying attention. Luckly my brother was and he held me above water till my parents could reach me. I am very picky about my kids swimming. It is so easy for a child to drown.

I have swam across a lake like that but we took big chunks of logs with us to flot with so that way if we had any problem we all had something to grab on.

gettin2serious
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM

That was the story I was going to post!  Exact same thing happened to me in a huge wave pool.  Everytime I thought I was coming to the surface, I was actually stuck in another wave - never getting air.  Lifeguard pulled me out...and I was in a daze.  Terrifying - and although I'm a good swimmer, and I go in the water, drowning is my #1 worst way that I would want to die.

Quoting hautemama83:

Drowning scares the crap outta me, and dry drowning scares the crap outta me even more! Never never a ood idea to not watch your kids around water.

I remember when I was about 9 or 10, we went to a water park. Anyhow they had they Wave pool. So we all went in it, suddenly the waves got way too big for me and kept sucking me back under the water. By then I had totally panicked! Thank GOD for the lifeguard who was there. Other wards I probably would have drowned. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)