Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Double standard??

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM
  • 26 Replies

My BF went out to dinner last night with an old friend who just moved back from NY. He invited me, but I couldn't go.. so they went out just the two of them. I have no problem with this. I trust him completely. I know there's always the chance, but I'm not the jealous type at all, and I honestly don't feel that he would cheat on me.

A friend of mine, a male friend posted on my FB wall that he's moving but wants to have me and BF over for some drinks before he moves. So I brought it up to my BF this morning.. and he said he couldn't make it that weekend.. Well it's the last weekend available before my friend moves.. we've been friends for 7 years. So I wrote my friend back and said that BF couldn't make it. He wrote back and said "That's cool, you should still come by. Angey, and Brian will be here and so will Joe."

So I told BF this and he asked "Well are you going?"..

Me: Um.. yeah.. two of my best friends will be there, I don't get this chance very often.

So now he's pissed.. I asked him why he's so upset, and he said "You shouldn't be going to another man's house"

For a get together with my best friends since middle school, not to mention one of your best friends will be there?? He was invited.. he likes this friend of mine.. they hang out without me all the time, and I introduced them.. So now I'm not going.. and I'm a little pissed about this.. you went out to dinner with a female friend that I have never met and I had no problem with this what so ever, because I trust you.. But I can't go hang out with some friends as a group thing, because it's at his house.?? This is BS..

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daruth
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Yes it sucks. Maybe he is afraid of what the friend might try not you.

excougarmama
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Why would you even consider not going? He isnt in charge of you nor do you need his permission! Ugh I can't stand that. Grow up.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

why don't you just go? you're holding yourself back. who cares if he's pissed, he had his fun so why can't you?

mommy492006
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Sounds like my husband. I can do it but you cant. I do it anyways though

LovingMyJaybird
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I might just do it.. we're having a rocky time right now tho'. He just went back to school, and lives so far away now, and I can't get a transfer until Febuary and refuse to leave my job that I love.. I'm trying to keep the peace with him, because the distance thing is taking it's toll on our relationship as is..

mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Quoting excougarmama:

Why would you even consider not going? He isnt in charge of you nor do you need his permission! Ugh I can't stand that. Grow up.

Maybe she wasn't so much asking for permission, but was doing it out of respect for her boyfriend.I would always ask my husband if he was ok with me going out, not that I was asking for permission just out of respect for him.

And yes OP that is a double standard.

LilLily1110
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM

go anyway... They're your friends! and its not like its just you and him

WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Yes that is double standards... Totally wrong. Don't let him manipulate you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Yes that is double standards... Totally wrong. Don't let him manipulate you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taradawn24
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I'd go anyways. You trust him, so he should trust you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)