• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone tell me how to make Roasted Chicken?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

I suck at cooking, I tried making it last night but it tasted like shit!  It had no flavor on the inside and I wanted it to get that pretty golden color, it came out looking.........ugly. Please can someone tell me how to make a tasty, golden colored roasted chicken?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.pyle
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

a whole chicken? take the insides out, spread them around the chicken i personally like to fry up the liver and the heart and eat them like that lol 

wash the chicken, pat it dry with a cloth or towel, smother it with olive oil, and stuff it with either a lemon cut into fourths or an orange cut into fourths, put whatever seasoning you want on it, i like to coin carrots and put about a half a clove of garlic around it with a sliced onion and the carrots, cover it with tin foil depending on the size you cook it almost through then for the last ten-fifteen minutes take the foil off and you will get that nice golden color 

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I have a rotisere BUT before I got that. ( if you loved roasted chicken check into the Showtime rotisserie MMMMM  does other stuff too)

I take chicken and rinse with cold water.  Then take spices I want to use and rub them into chicken.  Put into glass cooking pan and cook at 350 for about an hour.  They also sell injectors so you can inject chicken with flavors you like.

mandafox
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I haven't made a roast chicken...but when I do a turkey I do it in one of those roasting bags with butter smeared all over it. And you baste it a bunch to keep it pretty tender. And I've seen recipes where you stuff it with whole heads of garlic and a lemon to get good flavor.

sxybxmami
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I stuffed it with lemons and oranges last night, I also put in some garlic. Can I put potatoes in with the chicken or should I do that separate? 

Quoting mrs.pyle:

a whole chicken? take the insides out, spread them around the chicken i personally like to fry up the liver and the heart and eat them like that lol 

wash the chicken, pat it dry with a cloth or towel, smother it with olive oil, and stuff it with either a lemon cut into fourths or an orange cut into fourths, put whatever seasoning you want on it, i like to coin carrots and put about a half a clove of garlic around it with a sliced onion and the carrots, cover it with tin foil depending on the size you cook it almost through then for the last ten-fifteen minutes take the foil off and you will get that nice golden color 

judybant
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:04 PM

For really, really good roasted chicken... get a can of beer. Drink about half of it. Put the can of beer in the roasting pan. The WHOLE CAN, Stand your chicken up over the can of beer. Rub some olive oil on the skin of the chicken. Then season it the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, some poultry seasoning, a bit of pepper. Roast it at 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. The juices should be running clear, and if you don't have a thermometer, get one. The temperature in the thickest part of the breast, NOT touching the bone, should be 165 or higher. Also... if you rub some of your seasonings under the skin, that will help too. But the can of beer adds SO much flavor! The beer boils, and steams the meat from the inside, and gives  it a yummy flavor.

momof3xthefun
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I wash mine coat it with a stick of butter inside and out then sprinkle garlic salt over it. I bake it until it gets that golden color you are talking about. YUM! I also do this with my turkey at thanksgiving and it always gets rave reviews!

sxybxmami
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM

So pour beer on it? I know this is a dumb question but you leave the CAN in the chicken?

Quoting judybant:

For really, really good roasted chicken... get a can of beer. Drink about half of it. Put the can of beer in the roasting pan. The WHOLE CAN, Stand your chicken up over the can of beer. Rub some olive oil on the skin of the chicken. Then season it the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, some poultry seasoning, a bit of pepper. Roast it at 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour. The juices should be running clear, and if you don't have a thermometer, get one. The temperature in the thickest part of the breast, NOT touching the bone, should be 165 or higher. Also... if you rub some of your seasonings under the skin, that will help too. But the can of beer adds SO much flavor! The beer boils, and steams the meat from the inside, and gives  it a yummy flavor.

sxybxmami
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM

So I don't cover it? Just stick it in the oven?

Quoting momof3xthefun:

I wash mine coat it with a stick of butter inside and out then sprinkle garlic salt over it. I bake it until it gets that golden color you are talking about. YUM! I also do this with my turkey at thanksgiving and it always gets rave reviews!

elly25
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Clean your chicken out (take out the internal organs). Wash your hands and make a flavored butter to rub on your chicken and put on the inside. I get seasoning salt, pepper, dried onion, dried garlic,and lemon herbs (McCromich makes it). Then mix it in with almost the whole stick of butter. Pat your chicken dry and stick your finger (index) under the skin starting at the neck. Trying not to tare the skin. Put half the butter under the skin. Making sure to spread it as evenly as your can. Then cover the out side of the chicken with the rest of the butter.

Cut a lemon in half and place it inside the chicken (the place where you took out the internal organs).

Then loosely cover the chicken with tin foil. Place it in a 350 pre-heated oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until just about done all the way.

Then take off the tin foil and put the chicken back in the oven. Until the skin is crisp and golden brown.

Then let it set for a while to cool some. That way the juices stay in the flesh of the chicken and don't go out when you cut it.

You can also use a cooking bag and that takes out all the work pretty much. You do what I said above, but you don't have to put tin foil on and then take it off. You can also cut up root veggies and place it in with the chicken to roast as well. My family loves that. I use baby carrots, onion (not a root veggie), sweet potatoes, and garlic. Make sure to cut two slits in the cooking bag so the steam will escape and the bag wont explode. Let it set when it's done roasting. That way the juices stay put.

Hope I helped a little. My family loves to eat roast chicken. Well, everybody,but my husband.lol!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I rub it down with butter (under the skin and on the skin), garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning blend, and put it in a roasting pan on a rack with a little water in the bottom. I periodically baste it like you would a turkey. I keep it covered loosely with a tent of tinfoil a the start, and then remove it to help it brown at the end. A friend of mine also roasts hers breast side down for the first 30 min, then flips it over and finishes the remaining 15 min breast side up to get it to brown.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)