Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your AZZ stinks!!! I need help from the DOG people! UPDATE2 Back From VET

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM
  • 27 Replies

Ok, this is my first dog, so if this is a dumbass question - lol sorry.

So dog usually eats dry Iams large breed dog food. I thought I'd give him a treat and mix in some canned Iams with his dry once every day or two. Shortly after (like more than 1 week but less than 3) he started having a juicy butt. He licks it a lot and when i look, sometimes there is some clear brownish liquid dripping out - just a little. It stinks like poop. I figured he was just getting a runny bottom from the canned so I quit giving it to him.

He hasn't had any canned in over 5 days, and it's still doing it. Makes me think it's something else. Now his little booty-hole looks kind of puffy too. I wonder if its' just that his glands are clogged maybe? I checked his poo and no visible worms, nothing coming out of his butt except normally formed poop and this juice (EW). I'm planning on calling the vet on Monday, but thought maybe you guys might have a similar experience?

UPDATE: Well it's still bugging him, and today when I wiped some of it off, it was red - not thick blood red, but liquidy, like it might be bleeding just a little bit and mixing with the gunk. He's got an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning, he wasn't there today. I got a stool sample for them already - it's still totally normal formed poops. Poor guy, must have an irritated butthole (lmao why does that remind me of some  of the mama's in here - not this post but you all kwim lmao) Thanks for all the advice, and I'll update again after the vet tomorrow.

UPDATE # 2:So he has an anal fistula - a small tear in the rectum. It's very close tot he end, and very small. Doc  put him on antibiotics. We think it was most likely caused by a beef bone. We have given him t-bones, and we think that probably caused it, not the canned food. HE said even with beef bones, that only the really big ones are ok - no steak sized bones. Poor baby, I feel awful....we thought we were giving him a treat, and it ended up hurting him. No more bones for him! Thanks ladies for all your input and concern, I really appreciate it.

Without ME there would be no awesome!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momzillaof4
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Maybe his anal glands need to be emptied? That is my first guess.

proudmomma1986
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Quoting momzillaof4:

Maybe his anal glands need to be emptied? That is my first guess.

That's what I started thinking today. I'd like it to be something simple - I hate to see him uncomfortable.

HouseKatof2
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Did he ever have the problem before you started giving him canned food once in a while?

If you aren't sure, it is possible that he isn't tolerating the dry, as well as the canned food. 

If he was fine before you added the canned food, he may just need to work it all out of his system & that might take a couple weeks.  

Rockabilly_ma13
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM

anytime you change their food even just adding something speical you run the chance of that happening its ok.. my girls just had their food changed last week and im still dealing with it... UGh... try and get him used to it by keeping it up or not doing it at all... it will be fine.

crazymama0286
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM

ok ewwww and here's a bump we raised dogs but I don't recall paying much attention to thier butts.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Quoting HouseKatof2:

Did he ever have the problem before you started giving him canned food once in a while?

If you aren't sure, it is possible that he isn't tolerating the dry, as well as the canned food. 

If he was fine before you added the canned food, he may just need to work it all out of his system & that might take a couple weeks.  

no he didn't which is why I figured it was just the food - but it's been almost a week - and his poop is totally normal...could it still be the food? I've never had his glands expressed - could the irritation from the food change have caused a clog in the anal ducts or something where he might need a little assistance to feel better sooner? lol I'm a worry wart, but he seems unhappy and he's yutzing up my carpet too. It's too hot to put him outside.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM

BUMP!

Princess7777
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Might be the food.  I hate to say that though.  That's suppose to be a good brand.  I have cats right now, but always grew up with dogs and cats and other animals.  It might have too much ash in the food.  My cat got sick when I gave her 9 lives, and I changed it to another brand she got better.  I don't give my animals 9 lives any more ther's too much ash in it.  Try reading the lable and see what's in it.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Don't know anything about having their glands fixed or whatever that's called. But do know that changing a dogs food can make their tummys upset. Do you think he has discharge because of the diahrea? Kinda like when small kids are sick and fart a little but poo comes out. I know that certain food make my dog have the worst farts..I am never giving her dog biscuits again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)