Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For my good deed... well, I possibly saved a babies life and made $150 in the process! Well, actually, $300! **UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM
  • 77 Replies

Opportunistic? Maybe. But I'm frugal, and I bet you would do this too.

Last week someone posted about a crib recall. I looked into it, and found that DD's crib, that she hasn't used in a year and a half, had been recalled, that the company had closed, and that the retailer was taking the cribs in exchange for full refund. $150! So we loaded it up and took it to the store and got $150 store credit.

Well, today, Dh and I were at a flea market. Found another crib that had been recalled, bought it for $8! Took it to the retailer and got another $150 store credit!!!

I hate shopping at walmart, but mamma's gonna get some school supplies, and use some of the money to buy a couple additional sets of school supplies for needy kids. i guess that's my way of giving back.

What is your good deed? Did it make you money??? LOL!!!

WOW!!! I'm sorry, but any seller that doesn't have the intelligence to research a crib for recalls before putting it out to sell to some unsuspecting family doesn't deserve my consideration! So screw you! It is absolutely no different then me buying a picture that I KNOW is worth quite a bit more than what they are selling it for, turning around and making the profit myself. If I would have done that, would you still be as harsh in  your statements?

As a seller, retailer, whatever.. it is their responsibility to know the value of what it is they're selling. Not my responsibility as the consumer to do the research FOR them.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goatmom4
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM

hey that is cool  w e  pray for people right now our finances are low oh  but iam babysitting my friends dog it is afraid of the thunder so I will go ove and sit with her if it storms come we could use some rain                        

2cool4school
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quoting goatmom4:

hey that is cool  w e  pray for people right now our finances are low oh  but iam babysitting my friends dog it is afraid of the thunder so I will go ove and sit with her if it storms come we could use some rain                        

hope things get better for you! keep your eyes open... something like this will happen to you. be aware of what you're looking at, especially if you're shopping second hand

JMVITT
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Wow, you know what would have been even better??  Telling the people who you bought it from so they could benefit from the recall. 

ariesp19
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM

BUMP!

gwebkeijmmm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Quoting JMVITT:

Wow, you know what would have been even better??  Telling the people who you bought it from so they could benefit from the recall. 

Well, not better for her you silly~billy!

*please note sarcasm.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM

WOW! Doesn't sound like a good deed to me. Maybe the buying the flea market crib.THat way someone that didnt know about the recall didn't buy.  But not to turn around and take it so you could get more money. Sounds greedy to me

elly25
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I didn't make any money off of it. Heck I lost money.lol!

I gave my daughter's crib, bouncer, walker, clothes she couldn't fit in, and shoes that she couldn't fit in to someone that could use them. I also bought them a new matrice to use with the crib.

I bought my daughter a new toddler bed. She likes it much more then her crib. Even though she did cry and ask why they were taking her bed away.

nellbug
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM

That's great that you are going to buy extra sets of school supplies.  However I personally would have told the sellers of the crib that it was recalled so they could have gotten thier money back.  I would have felt guilty for doing that .  That is just my opinion.

Caitlin_mommyx3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM
I think this is freaking awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaeHamMomma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, that sounds a little shady to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)